Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Officer shoots dog

Officer at wrong address shoots family dog dead

April 18, 2012, 6:27 p.m. CDT

AP

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) ? The fatal shooting of a family dog by an Austin police officer arriving at the wrong address has department officials reviewing their policies governing deadly force against animals.

Cisco, a blue heeler owned by Michael Paxton, was shot Saturday by an officer responding to a domestic disturbance call. Officer Thomas Griffin arrived at the wrong address by mistake and says he shot the dog after it charged at him, but Paxton denies that his dog charged at the officer.

Assistant Police Chief David Carter says the department has received a flood of angry emails and telephone calls, some from abroad, and promises that "every aspect of the incident" is being reviewed.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM  

It is terrible, but who's fault is it? The cop was just doing his job. The dog's owner was just walking with his dog. The caller thought they were giving the correct address. The dog?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu
It is terrible, but who's fault is it? The cop was just doing his job. The dog's owner was just walking with his dog. The caller thought they were giving the correct address. The dog?
Actually the incident was at the address not while the owner was walking the dog. But that's a mute point. The officer had the right to protect himself. I can't fault the officer. Bad situation, bad information, bad outcome for all.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM  

I agree. Unfortunately, most cities have leash law ordinances, so the fault just might fall with the owner of the dog.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, most cities have leash law ordinances, so the fault just might fall with the owner of the dog.
The dog was in his own yard, so a leash law would not apply.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM  

Yeah, I saw the cop cam and it looked like the cop shot the dog from the sidewalk, and the owner failed to control a loose dog. If there is no fence and was in the front yard open to the public, then the laws may apply. I might be wrong though. It really doesn't matter what I think, this is horrible and would hate to be anyone involved in this incident.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM  

Houston, Texas
Putting a different spin on this, as a bicyclist, owners need to control their dogs at all times. On a leash, in a fenced yard or an open and unfenced area, it doesn't matter. Sometimes I wish I could shoot the owner.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!