Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 AM  

Port Orange, FL
Where to live around Austin for a good balance?

So it looks like I may be relocating to the Austin area later this year and I'm looking for some feedback. Where is your best bang for the buck with regards to housing cost and tax benefits that's still within a very reasonable distance to all of the shopping, eating, and entertainment of the city?

Schools really aren't an issue for me since my youngest graduates high school this year, but college availability (community college before university) is a must. What are the advantages or disadvantages of being north (say Round Rock) or south (Buda, etc.) of the city? East vs. west?

I know I am asking a lot here, and I'll get a bunch of opinions, but I would like to narrow my focus. I will be making a trip out to explore the different areas around Labor day... thanks in advance for all of your feedback!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
First, no such thing as good property value in Austin. Everything is either unreasonable or decrepit.

CC locations won't be an issue as ACC has campuses all over the city including Round Rock. Here's a more comprehensive list of locations.

Locations

Right now the east side is be "revitalized", but that's just code speak for gentrification.
There is a bit of resentment happening because of it, but you rarely see it.

Each part of town has a different dynamic so depending on what part you fall into you may be better suited for North (middle income, family) South (weird, low to middle) West (better be rich) East ( already explained) and Central, which is an odd mix of all of it. I've lived most every where except west.

If you don't mind driving Round Rock, Cedar Park, are going to provide you with the best value on your dollar. If you are looking to buy, I would suggest looking into HUD grants as a lot of property off the IH 35 corridor falls into urban development and they are looking to occupy houses.

One of the things I think a lot of out-of-towners don't understand is everything is spread out.

If you go anywhere you can pretty much guarantee you are driving. So location is really about how much you like driving as opposed to how close you want to be.

In way of shopping both San Marcos and Round Rock have outlet stores and vibrant communities.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 AM  

Port Orange, FL
This is fantastic...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!