Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM  

Wethersfield, CT
Any other oilburners / diesel heads?

While 2/3 of my current vehicles are gassers, I'd really like to get to 100% diesel at some point in the not-too-distant future. And since I've got 4 school aged kids, all involved in one or two sports or another, practicality and the ability to carry "stuff" in addition to people comes into play more than anything else.

My one diesel so far is an '80 Mercedes 300TD (Touring Diesel which was the estate or wagon rather than Turbo Diesel, although they were all turbo diesels from '81 on). 106,000 miles, one previous owner. Bought new for his wife and when she was due for a new car it went into his business fleet and sat a lot because it was too old and slow and smelly and you had to wait 10 seconds before turning the key, etc., etc. Everything I find appealing about it. Anyways, it's not in bad shape but didn't receive the routine maintenance other than LOF for about 10 years. It's got some rust on the lower corners of front fenders and one rear wheel well but nothing serious. It's my summer weekend/relaxation car. Since I have no choice but to drive it slow and take it easy in it, the change in mindset is pretty simple.

My grand master scheme...err...plan, is to get a diesel Suburban for my wife to haul the kids and their stuff around (along with towing our boat and maybe a camper) and a First Gen or a later 12 valve Cummins for myself for work and play. I love the old school, box look of the First Gens but a '94-'98 12 valve extended cab, 2WD dually would be a better fit as a part-time family hauler. Since I can't afford (or justify) another car in the form of a hot rod or muscle car, the Cummins can fill the need for crazy power while still being a DD capable of towing and hauling and getting some good mileage while doing it.

What do you have or what would you like to have?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I don't own any diesels. I have no need to since I don't tow or haul anything really. The maintenance costs of a heavy duty diesel just make it too expensive for your average guy who isn't working the truck to own. Add in the DPF and Urea systems on the new trucks and average people aren't even knowledgeable enough to own them anymore.

However, I am a service writer for an independent repair shop that specializes in light-duty (3/4-1 ton) diesel trucks. I'm around them all day long. To put it nicely: The 03+ Fords keep me in business. If I could build any diesel truck, I'd build a Ford chassis with a common-rail Cummins and an Allison transmission. Truck would ride good, make tons of power cheaply, and run forever.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 PM  

Wethersfield, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bars View Post
If I could build any diesel truck, I'd build a Ford chassis with a common-rail Cummins and an Allison transmission. Truck would ride good, make tons of power cheaply, and run forever.
Many a guys' dream! I could even get away with a 1/2 ton Ford chassis.

The latest emissions stuff has definitely complicated the matter, and hurt performance and fuel mileage to boot. That's what I love about my Benz, there's not much that's even electronically controlled nevermind computer controlled! Even a knucklehead like me can figure out what goes where and for what.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 PM  

Valencia, California
My short list for new haulers includes the VW Jetta TDI, or it's cousin the Audi A3 TDI. Good blend of economy, practicality, hauling capacity, and refinement. Honda had been developing a super efficient Turbo Diesel that was slated to go in the CRV, but it has been shelved for now, at least in the US, which would have been on my list also.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
RNDDUDGE, The small European diesel stuff is nice for commuting and general travel. Gov't can run their mouth about being "green" all they want, but until they accept the mileage benefits of some of those small diesels and offer tax incentives for that compared to the smoke-n-mirrors of gas-electric hybrids, they are just blowing smoke. With the new emissions systems (which for some reason don't seem like they are as troublesome or a hindrance to performance as the domestics...) they are just as clean as anything else on the road.

SwampYankee, for a DIY'er you sure can't beat the simplicity of the old mechanical fuel injection systems. As long as the pump is timed right, its hard to mess anything up. Those systems could take some abuse too - would burn dang near anything petroleum based you could pour in 'em.

You can't argue with the power and mileage the new electronic stuff can do though. Only real downside to it is the cost of replacement parts. My personal favorite "off the lot" truck is the 04.5-07 Duramax trucks. But should it break down, you better get your house refinanced.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
How did i miss this, and where is Morgan???

We're both diesel heads....

Mine is an 86 F250 6.9L IDI.... Love this truck (most of the time)

Someone mentioned a Fummins? My dream truck is a F350 crew duallie, stretched for a 10' bed, 24V p-pumped powered, maybe a wrecker 7 speed?.... 92-97 cab with 82-86 front clip... How's that for a beauty?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 AM  

Wethersfield, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bars View Post
RNDDUDGE, The small European diesel stuff is nice for commuting and general travel. Gov't can run their mouth about being "green" all they want, but until they accept the mileage benefits of some of those small diesels and offer tax incentives for that compared to the smoke-n-mirrors of gas-electric hybrids, they are just blowing smoke. With the new emissions systems (which for some reason don't seem like they are as troublesome or a hindrance to performance as the domestics...) they are just as clean as anything else on the road.
That's what gets me. For all the talk about lessening the reliance on foreign (and domestic) oil, the answer for a 25% reduction is practically staring us in the face. Moving people to a diesel car should be a lot easier than moving everyone into the hybrids. The modern diesels perform the same, are quiet, are clean, handle the same, refuel them the same way, etc. as their gas equivalents. And there's not a huge difference in price with those (cars) we can actually buy here ($1500 more in the Audi's and Benzes, $1275 in the VW's). With all of the talk coming out of Washington, it baffles me that there hasn't been more of an effort to push the modern diesel technology.

This Audi commercial really drives home the point.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:35 AM  

Wethersfield, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otahyoni View Post
How did i miss this, and where is Morgan???

We're both diesel heads....

Mine is an 86 F250 6.9L IDI.... Love this truck (most of the time)

Someone mentioned a Fummins? My dream truck is a F350 crew duallie, stretched for a 10' bed, 24V p-pumped powered, maybe a wrecker 7 speed?.... 92-97 cab with 82-86 front clip... How's that for a beauty?
In your defense, it did just pop up.

Had an '86 Econoline w/6.9 here at work that we put 300K on before selling it to my uncle who put on another 120K before the body just finally disintegrated a couple years ago. That thing ran like a bear, even w/2 tons of fertilizer in the back. Even as a N/A engine, it sure had some good usable torque!

I like your dream Fummins! I always liked the look of the '82-86 over the flat nose of the late 80's-early 90's (I had a '90 F350 Crew). My dream would be a 70's vintage Ford Crew Cab w/a 12V.

I'm getting lazy with shifting gears so I'd probably go with the Allison. I'm torn between dual or singles, though.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
Got it, thanks for the pic...makes it hard to miss

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!