Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM  

Cutting a transmission dip stick?

My friend just took his '02 TJ Jeep with a 4.0 and auto transmission to a jeep repair shop in Big Bear, Cal, in order to get his transmission serviced. He gets the job done and returns home. He opens his hood and sees the trans dip stick is sticking out about an inch. He pushes it down and it springs back up.

Now my friend is ticked off and returns to the shop to show the repair guy the dip stick. The mechanic says, "no problem" and takes a hack saw and cuts off 1" off the bottom, and says, "here you go!"

He then drove it to his primary house 1 1/2 hours away, and the trans is now leaking all around the pan. He plans on taking me up with him in the morning to get this worked out.

Does anyone have any idea why the stick would not go all the way in? Anyone ever heard of cutting the dip stick?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 AM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
It's the wrong one or they changed the neck and didn't put the right one in, or they
might have even shove the neck in to far instead of stopping when it snapped in place.
Tell the guy he is a re-re for doing that, I think my 15 month old nephew knows better
then to do that.

My best advice is don't go back there and let them more damage, have it re-checked by
someone who knows what they are doing to make sure there are no other problems and
have that other shop pay the bill for their own re-re ness.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 AM  

The problem is that this job was first done by my friend's neighbor, at his "trustworthy" automotive shop, who didn't do 1/2 of the repairs requested. So, basically this is already a secondary shop. I feel bad because I could have easily done everything myself for him, but with my wife's separation, he didn't want to bother me. Problem is this is just getting me ticked off and more time consuming than just doing it all myself. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 AM  
fustrated genius

Remember KEEP YOUR COOLS. I had a GM dealer call the cops on me once. I got a little PO'd when the third dealer wouldn't fix the warranteed truck. Sounds like this place would make a good GM dealer. I don't think they would do any good if they gave an honest try at correcting the problem.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:13 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
The problem is that this job was first done by my friend's neighbor, at his "trustworthy" automotive shop, who didn't do 1/2 of the repairs requested. So, basically this is already a secondary shop. I feel bad because I could have easily done everything myself for him, but with my wife's separation, he didn't want to bother me. Problem is this is just getting me ticked off and more time consuming than just doing it all myself. Thanks for the reply.
If yall where more south I could help.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:30 PM  

I just came back from the mechanic. I really kept my cool as I gathered the information that the Bureau of Automotive Repair would need if a complaint was filed. My friend introduced me as a jeep expert (BS'ed them all!) and I just sat back and listened. The owner of the business watched me like a hawk, but had no reason to even confront me, but was very obvious I was looking out for my friend. We want his jeep fixed, and fixed correctly before I pull out the ammunition.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Is he in Cali? There is no Bureau of Automotive Repair in AZ.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 PM  

Yes, this is in Calif. They might not have a specific BAR in Arizona, but I can assure you there is some government entity who oversees what licensed mechanics are doing.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
All you can do here is go to the Better Business Bureau, and they really don't do very much.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM  

A business doesn't have to be involved with the BBB, as it is only voluntary. I once used them on a faulty pool repair, and was amazed at the amount of unsatisfied judgements against these folks.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!