Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2017, 02:46 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Ethanol, the scam

Ethanol takes more energy to produce than it generates.
Ethanol, the scam-920x920.jpg 

Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Besides reduced mileage, ethanol aggressively attracts water, which leads to poor driveability and other issues. Ethanol is also corrosive to some metals and rubber, and while an oft-cited issue in the ethanol debate, the corrosion problem doesn't seem to show up much in the modern automotive sphere, but along with water absorption is a real issue in classic car, marine, outdoor and aviation arenas. For these reasons, a lawsuit against the ethanol mandate has been filed by some auto and boat makers, plus outdoor equipment companies."

"Cutting gasoline with ethanol is said to reduce gasoline consumption for a reduction in greenhouse gases and lessen dependence on imported oil, plus ethanol is considered a renewable resource. But even if true, the argument that ethanol saves gasoline is a tough sell when consumers see their fuel mileage drop, and the debate continues on how much water and energy it takes to produce ethanol in the U.S., so it is unclear whether ethanol is energy positive, or even neutral."

Old 12-22-2017, 04:10 PM  

Interesting. I was not aware of this. My experience with ethanol is that some people make it a way that makes it nice to drink. I am sure these are different people than those that make it for a combustion engine to drink.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!