Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Grrr... after-market car horn on a Nissan

So I picked up this Nissan Hardbody on a trade with a guy. It's a 1988, nothing too fancy - just a good work truck. HOWEVER, the horn doesn't work, and I need that for yearly safety check here in Hawaii - so I've got work to do.

I know what you're thinking - horn, it's easy, right? Well, he put in a Grant steering wheel, and ripped out the horn wiring. So I'm going to do an aftermarket one - I'm looking for a full kit with a button that I can just wire up to the center of the wheel.

Anyone ever done something like this, or can recommend a good after-market kit for me?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM  

A button switch on the dash should suffice for their annual inspection.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
They actually get inside the car and check everything, including actually honking the horn, so I have to go the whole ten yards on this.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM  

Contact Grant and order a horn kit...easy peasy!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Like I said, they ripped out all of the actual horn wires, so after-market still might be the only way to go, though.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM  

You should see the wires coming from the bottom of the steering column, and if identified correctly, you should be able to hear something if grounded correctly. From that point, you should be able to chase a new wire into the horn kit.

I still believe a universal horn button on the dashboard (or wrapped around the steering column) will pass inspection. Give them a call and find out. If so, most auto parts stores carry complete horn kits, that include the horn, the button, and the wiring necessary to make it work.

As anal as California inspections use to be, universal horn kits were perfectly acceptable to use.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads