Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What should my next project be?
Mid-90's Dodge Ram 0 0%
90's Ford Bronco 9 64.29%
Early 80's CJ-5 1 7.14%
84-86 CJ-7 3 21.43%
Mid 90's YJ 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 PM  

Pasadena, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otahyoni View Post
I voted for a Bronco, but i'd like to suggest a 78-79 if you can find one. Love the style.

Runner up is 80-86 followed by the 92-96 body.

Cannot stand the 'bricknose' 87-91 F-series and Bronco....
[CURLY VOICE]Hey, I resemble that remark![/CURLY VOICE]

It's funny, either you love 'em or hate 'em. I'm a fan of the 78-79s too.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Can you do SOA on Bronco's? I've never even worked on one.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 AM  

Pasadena, CA
SOA = Spring over axle? The rear axles (9" or 8.8" depending on the year) have leafs over the axle from the factory. The front axles (D-44 reverse cut) have coil springs.

Rear lift options that come to mind include:
-Lifted or re-arced springs
-Add a leafs
-Blocks
-Shackle flip. The stock rear spring hanger is below the spring with the shackle running up to the spring. Some have swapped stock hangers side to side & reversed the shackle so the hanger is above the spring. There's a couple of aftermarket kits for the shackle flip too. I like RuffStuff's kit because their style of shackle allows more fine tuning.

80-96s have the Twin Traction Beam (TTB) front axle, which is Ford's 4wd approach to independent front suspension. It's sort of like a twin I beam with a differential on one of the axles & a 3rd front u-joint in the center. The guys who like to jump these things (Go Fast Broncos) believe that the TTB is better for flying Broncos. Rock crawlers like to do a solid axle swap (SAS, D-60 preferred, D-44 on some). Because the TTB mounts to a pivot 2/3s of the way across the truck, longer springs alone will throw off the camber beyond adjustment.

Front lift options that come to mind include:
-Longer springs alone (2" max).
-Longer springs with drop pivot points & drop radius arm brackets (4"-6" usually).
-Longer springs with drop pivot points & extended radius arms (4"-6" usually).
-Longer springs with cut & turned beams & extended radius arms (4"-6" usually). These keep the higher stock pivot point by cutting & welding the beams to retain camber in spite of the changed angle of the axle. The desert guys will also lengthen the front axles as part of their builds.

The front axle on the 78-79s is solid. I have heard that some have lowered the spring buckets, but longer coils & extended radius arms are preferred.

And for your entertainment there's this method found in a Wal-mart parking lot. More frames than brains. (Note the stock style rear shackle in the 2nd pic)

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I can't even believe what I'm seeing right now. I wouldn't have even conceived that. Props to them for uhm....originality? Hah.

So if I'm looking at a 90's Bronco I'm going to have to swap to get me my beloved straight front axle?

If you could pick me out a style El, what would it be, Bronco-wise.

Also, you have just become my resident go-to Bronco guy

Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM  

Pasadena, CA
Yeah, that's one of a kind (Thankfully). And yes, to get a stock solid axle you'd have to either buy a 1978-79, find a newer one that's already been SASd, or swap one yourself. There's a lot of info in this forum: Solid Axle Swaps, & a pretty thorough write up here: Solid Axle Swapage - FoxBravo Edition.

As to the style, that's a personal choice. If I were looking for me & the way I use it, here's 3 that I'd be thinking about along with some of their pluses & minuses:

A round headlighted 78.
+Cool looking truck.
+Square lights were optional in 78, in 79 they were standard. It's the last year of that old school look. If I found a great 79, I'd swap to round lights.
+Solid axle.
+Many engine choices, 460 at the large end
+Bigger tires with less clearance issues
+Sliding back windows seem more common
+Legally removable top
+C-6 trans is common
+Stock carb, simple for some of us old guys
-Not EFI, doesn't run upside down
-Older, more likely to be rusted/worn
-OD isn't available stock
-351m engine. Bigger & heavier than the 351w. Sort of the overgrown brother to the 351c

A Bricknosed 89 with a 351w, C-6 trans, & manual t-case
+The amazing styling of the Bricknose
+351w engine optional
+C-6 trans
+EFI
+Legally removable top
+Doesn't use the poorly designed "Top hat" manual hubs found in 87-88s
-No OD behind the 351. The 302 had an overdrive with the AOD trans, but it's a lighter duty trans.
-TTB axle. Works fine for a lot of situations, upgrading to a d-50 stub shaft makes it stronger, but the serious rock guys swap them for solid axles
-Speed density. Not very adaptable to cam & intake changes. If you're building it, a mass air flow (MAF) system would make that easier
-2 fuel pumps. Low pressure in the tank, high pressure on the frame. Last year for 2 pumps

A 1996 with a 351w, E4OD trans, & manual t-case
+Newest Bronco made. Probably less rust/wear
+351w engine optional
+EFI
+MAF. Much more adaptable for cam & intake changes. Found in 96s & some 95s
+1 fuel pump. High pressure in the tank.
+E4OD trans. Heavy duty, overdrive, with all the upgrades in place by 96
-E4OD trans. Doesn't like heat, very expensive to rebuild. Add an external cooler & filter for longer life
-TTB axle
-Top not legally removable without adding provisions for a 3rd brake light & shoulder belts for the rear passengers
-Tighter wheel openings. 33s rub the front bumper on some 92-96s unless the bumper is shimmed or trimmed

Wow, it's another book. Sorry 'bout that. Sometimes you open the faucet & it's hard to shut off. Oh well, as long as we're at it here's a couple of pages from a 1990 brochure that show the different trim packages & options at the time.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow thanks again!

Alright, so another option that's not on the list is a Nissan Hardbody.

Why a Hardbody, ysay? Well, a guy wants to trade me an 88 Hardbody for a project civic I've got going (when I say going, I mean it's sat there for a month after I finished the motor swap).

It's an 88 with a NAPZ motor (I'm learning about these motors, too). All around it's pretty clean.

Whaddya think? Kill two birds with one stone, or pass this one up?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 AM  

Pasadena, CA
So did you get the Nissan? Are you still looking?

I have no idea about pricing in Hawaii, but here's a 78 Bronco on craigslist that someone posted on a bronco site: 1978 Ford Bronco
Quote:
I bought this Bronco over a year ago for my wife but we lost interest in the project. Solid truck that came from Oregon 351M C6 auto B&M shifter perma cool trans cooler Nodular Iron 9 inch rear Dana 44 front 4 inch lift 35 inch Pro comp Xterain tires with a ton of tread fancy olive drab paint job done by previous owner. It has a hard top it's just not on in the pics

I will consider possible trades but prefer cash please email or call 760 801 2057
Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 AM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
Wow.... Forgot where i was for a minute...

I thought i was back over on FTE.....
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM  

Glendale, Arizona
I voted bronco, I like the OJ Bronco's haha.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I did grab the nissan for right now, but this is, most likely, just going to be an interrum vehicle between now and tax time, when I'll get my next one.

I'm a bit car ADD - I tend to go through them a lot.

I bookmarked that Bronco in Kailua. In Hawaii, especially Oahu, there's SO MUCH backyard mechanic's work that about 1 in 10 cars is going to be a good buy. You just have to expect them super close, because a native's favorite thing to do is screw over a howlie (mainland guy)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.