Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 AM  

Houston, TX
Jeep Wrangler vs Truck?

I am currently saving my pennies for a down PMT on a vehicle later this year.
My heart has always wanted a jeep, but I also love trucks. I am reviewing Jeep Wrangler Unlimited models and Ford F-150.

I welcome any advice from owners of either vehicles..

I live in Houston, that tends to flood, so I want something that I can drive through high water.

My other requirements/preferences are:

Good size cargo space for bicycle gear, and future appliance purchases (I despise paying for delivery)

Rugged interior (I don't want to worry about spills, dogs, dirt, or wet clothes ruining the interior)

Long lasting(i plan to keep it at least 10 yrs)

Powerful engine that can get me up a hill in Texas (and maybe a Colorado mountain when I travel)

Convertible

Relatively quiet ride (I have read the newer models of wrangler unlimited have become smoother and quieter)

Please help me make a more informed decision by giving me your advice, words of wisdom.

Sincerely,

Tammy B.
Semi-active triathlete

Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM  

Well, i can not speak for ford and their f 150, but i had a toyota tundra, the first generation, not the hulking thing everyone drives now, and as far as hauling things like you would like to do it was perfect, but i almost never used the bed except for that purpose. which was only about once a month, if that. i, like you have a soft spot for jeeps, when i totaled the tundra, which thank god, i walked away without a scratch, i bought my 2001 wrangler. as far as interior, i would say the truck was nicer, just because jeeps are more simplistic in their making, but jeeps have nice interiors if you want, which seems optional to you. cargo space, i think no one would argue that the truck wins this one, but with all the racks and things you can get the jeep isnt too far behind on this one. Long lasting is up to you really, treat anything nicely and it will last, i will say that in my opinion, jeeps are easier and cheaper to work on but idk if you are into that. and engines and power are whatever you want to pay. convertibl... jeep obviously. you got quiet down hope this helps

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 PM  

Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelrampage View Post
Well, i can not speak for ford and their f 150, but i had a toyota tundra, the first generation, not the hulking thing everyone drives now, and as far as hauling things like you would like to do it was perfect, but i almost never used the bed except for that purpose. which was only about once a month, if that. i, like you have a soft spot for jeeps, when i totaled the tundra, which thank god, i walked away without a scratch, i bought my 2001 wrangler. as far as interior, i would say the truck was nicer, just because jeeps are more simplistic in their making, but jeeps have nice interiors if you want, which seems optional to you. cargo space, i think no one would argue that the truck wins this one, but with all the racks and things you can get the jeep isnt too far behind on this one. Long lasting is up to you really, treat anything nicely and it will last, i will say that in my opinion, jeeps are easier and cheaper to work on but idk if you are into that. and engines and power are whatever you want to pay. convertibl... jeep obviously. you got quiet down hope this helps
Yes, it helps a great deal. Thanks. I think I have already made up my mind, but i have a nagging fear that I won't be able to live with the noise.

To offer a frame of reference of what I am used to: I currently drive a 2001 ford mustang, and the wind noise is quite loud- enough for me to be unable to use a handsfree ear/mike piece with my cell phone, b/c i am told that it sounds like i am in a windstorm.

Since you have experience of both, how have you adjusted to the noise differential and more simplistic interior?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM  

Sugar Land, TX
I've had a Wrangler for 3 years and love it. Taking the top down and driving around is easy and nothing beats it in Houston. I would recommend a bikini top if you think you will be in stop and go traffic in the heat of August. You can't haul anything in it thoughl. I was also surprised to find out how owning a Jeep is more about joining a culture than buying a vehicle. People wave to me, people come over and talk about Jeeps... when I come out of restaurants or stores I often find people looking under my Jeep (3" lift kit)... it's very cool. I highly recommend it. As far as noise, you get used to it and when the top is down who cares? Good luck!

If the noise is that big of a deal to you look into a hard top. The new JK models have hard tops with a removable section for the front seat section. The only issue with hard tops is when you want to take it completely off it's a two person job.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 AM  

Houston tx, Texas
Besides for the convertible aspect, it sounds to me that you'd be better off in truck for what you need. I love my jeep, there no better feeling to me than driving a jeep, but it's not practical for what you're looking for.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 PM  

jeep vs f150

I can speak for both vehicle. I have owned and operated the following since I began driving:
1980 Ford F150 custom 2dr
1990 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
1997 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 ext cab
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4dr Rubicon

I know, it looks like I do a flip-flop about every 10 years! What can I say both vehicles are great. If I could have both at the same time I would. You just cant beat the truck for cargo and towing but there is just something about a jeep that keeps me coming back. All that being said, allow me to address your wants below:

Cargo:
F150- Huge bed with all sort of options. I had a tool box to put valuables that I didnt want exposed. extended cab is also huge for putting in other stuff and if you want to take passengers they have a comfortable ride. I have hauled everything from bicycles, to appliances, to big loads of soil in the bed of the F150.
JEEP: 2dr: they didnt make the unlimited back then so they had extremely limited for cargo. Unlimited 4dr: pretty good space behind the back seat. I put all sorts of stuff in there. I have actually taken off the top entirely, stood a fridge up, and tied it to the roll bar for transport! Takes more time to make it happen but let's be honest: who transports alot of large items?

Rugged interior: my first F150 had vinyl and my second had leather. Both were good for easy cleanup and very resiliant. The floors were rubber coated in first and I took the hose to them but the second had carpet. I just bought some mud catcher mats to prevent bad things. If you want bare bones I think you can still get the vinyl interior and seats but most comfortable trucks these days have more bells and whistles. Jeep- if you get a new one the weather resistant fabric seems pretty good at not getting torn up. I have 3 kids and had a dog (RIP) that havent managed to mess it up. The carpet is also removable so if it does get savaged you can always take it out and clean. I have had mine off road in serious red clay and no stains. It has also gone full monsoon rain on me with the top down and it still looks pretty much like it did when I bought it new off the line.

Long lasting: My first F150 was bought of the line by my dad in 1979 for $3300 by the time I got it, he had put ~140k miles on it then it sat unused in the yard behind my grandads place for about 2-3 years. I put in new batt, changed all fluids , plugs, and drove it another 30k before engine died. Took me and him about 3wks in the yard to replace the engine (inline 6) cost about 800 but it lasted me til over 200k before I sold it. You get the idea. Both my Ford trucks were built to last. Jeep-jury is still out. My first jeep lasted for a long time and even after I sold it (to a guy on the lot at the ford dealership!) to get that '97 F150 I saw it on the road in Savannah GA for several more years (it had some identifying marks). I've only had my '08 for a few years but no problems so far.

Powerful engine: my first f150 was inline 6 and second was V6. The V6 was plenty powerful to charge up hills while I was in AZ. You may consider the V8 though if you have trailer. Jeep- I never had a problem climbing ANYTHING in the jeeps I've had. Not a good option though for big trailer pulling.

Convertible: F150-nope. JEEP-hard top and soft top options. I have both on my 08. I put the hard top on in winter and use the soft in summer during rainy times. pretty easy to manipulate the tops once you get used to it.

Relatively quiet ride: F150 it, no doubt. JEEP- my '08 is markedly more quiet than the '90 I had. improvements in both tops have been made but it still isnt as quiet as a non-convertible. You get used to the road noise with the top on. My commmute is about 45min and I cruise at 75mph. Doesnt really bother me. Just cant use speaker phone to well! Top off-trade noise for awesome.

That is pseudo data comparison from my foxhole but here's the rub. If you haul alot of stuff (furniture, appliances, lumber, etc), you cant do better than a truck. Everytime I need to haul something I think, man I wish I had that truck. The solution for me was to borrow a little trailer from a friend when I needed it to haul furniture and 4x8 plywood. Not as quick and easy but it got the job done with the jeep. I have also found that if you buy appliances retail that you can almost always bust their chops enough for them to deliver for free. Althoug I did pay $50 recently for a living room set. Small price when you think about it. Everytime spring/summer rolled around after I had my first jeep and was driving a truck I thought, man I wish I had that Jeep. Top down, doors off, radio on...theres just nothing like it that has good capability to handle on and off road action.

Bottom Line is that I dont really need a truck as much as I would like to think. I have to be a little more inventive with the jeep when I have alot of cargo but I drag the kids, the wife, and the bikes to the park no problem (with a receiver mounted cargo tray). I dont really need a jeep either but here it is..
I love the jeep.

If your heart says JEEP, go with it. I did and I couldnt be more pleased.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM  

The only thing to seriously think about with a Jeep in Houston is fuel economy. On average most Jeeps will get you around 15-16mpg at best or in city traffic maybe 13-14mpg. If your use to the mileage of a Ford Mustang the difference at the pump is quite a shock.

If you don't have to do allot of driving a Jeep is great. I think they built them with Galveston and Bolivar beaches in the summer in mind when they built the Jeep.

As far as the noise goes get a hardtop and get one the lifts they make that mount in your garage that just pluck it off the top of the Jeep.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM  

I have had many different vehicles in the past...

1972 F-150
1980 Luv
1983 Silverado
1988 Mustang Gt
1988 Silverado
1972 F-150
1991 Jeep Renegade
1980 Bronco
1996 S-10
1993 Trans-am
1989 Mustang LX 5.0
2003 Mustang GT
2004 F-150
2001 M3
2006 H-2
2005 Saleen
2006 Saleen
2008 F-150

The trucks were always useful and very comfortable people haulers.
The sports cars were fast and could empty a wallet pretty quick.
I never got great gas mileage in any of them. LOL

I found myself looking for one vehicle recently. I thought back through everything I owned in the past and bought another Jeep.

It is loud (soft top)
Gets terrible gas mileage (3 inch lift w/ 33's)
Rides pretty bad
Handles pretty bad

and

I love everything about it.

As posted above, it is like joining a community. Someone is always wanting to talk about things that I have done to it, tell me about something that they did to their Jeep, tell me about a Jeep they use to have, etc...
Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM  
fustrated genius

Why not kill TWO birds with ONE stone, save your money a little longer for THIS . . . . .

Sources Say: Jeep Pickup Truck Coming for 2012 - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood
Why not kill TWO birds with ONE stone, save your money a little longer for THIS . . . . .

Sources Say: Jeep Pickup Truck Coming for 2012 - PickupTrucks.com News
That's just what I have been waiting for. The best of both worlds , a Jeep and a Truck. That would open a spot on my driveway.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!