Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 AM  

Between Kansas and Illinois
Mopeds, Scooters and Gas

I have been watching the price of gas go steadily up and have been thinking of buying a scooter/moped probably a 49cc to start out with and see if I actually will use it that much. I am going to use it to go to work, about 2 miles and run around town, just short trips that are hard on vehicles when you don't get them up to operating temps. I didn't want to get a larger model than 49cc due to not having a motorcycle license or having to license the scooter, however if I use it more than I think I will, I might sell the smaller one and get something bigger later on.
Anybody have any suggestions on brand or what to look out for? All the prices seem to be between 400 and 900 dollars for most listed on the internet and of course all are foreign made. I don't know if any brands are better than others, parts, dependability etc also come into play. As far as style I was looking at something like the old Vespas or along that line.
Thanks for any comments.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM  
Poison Idea

If you're looking at scooters don't get anything but Hondas. Especially Ruckuses.

They make all kinds of awesome bolt on mods for them as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM  

If I get a Honda I will consider the Ruckus and the Metropolitan. I do like the bolt on's for the Ruckus and that is a good point. However for the short term I don't want to invest that much into a scooter until I know I will use it enough to get a better/bigger one.
I can most likely resell it to some high school student wanting cheap transportation and get most of my money back.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 PM  
Poison Idea

Pick one up off craigslist for 1/3 of what they go for new. If you get a Ruckus you're not gonna wanna sell it. They're fun as hell and the tires are big enough that you can even take them off road some.

I realllllly wanted to stretch mine out into a mini chopper but never got around to it.

They're only 49cc but I'm 6'3" 300 and I was going 45 no problem on mine on flat road.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM  

I'm not that tall so I wouldn't need the stretch but I do like them. I'll check out cl and see what I can find there.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 PM  
Poison Idea

battlescooter sells some sweet parts for them.

Honda Ruckus Performance Parts - Battlescooter
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM  
Poison Idea

Oh and btw, I dunno why neither of the pictured ones don't have it, but they make a plastic mesh that goes around the bottom of the seat because the seat flips up for storage space. It's about big enough that I could fit a 12 pack and a jacket in case it got cold out.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 AM  

After looking at all the scooters, Chinese, Japanise, Ti's I ended up gettin a Honda Metropolitan. I liked the looks and it has the option of adding a trunk, which I have already done. I have ridden it a few miles mainly short town trips and already see that I should have gotten a scooter several years ago...better late than never. I got the Graphite color and the black trunk really sets it off. I will post a picture once I get the camera and wires hooked up to the computer so I can upload pics.
I almost bought a Ruckus but it didn't have any compartments that looked like what I could use. My wife likes mine and has already hinted about when we are going to get hers.
They are fun to ride and they run on a thimble full of gas which is a plus since gas has risen to $3.29 now here in Missouri.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM  

Shuswap, BC
I ride a full sized motorbike, not a scooter, and even it gets great gas mileage.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
After the war, my dad took my mom on their honeymoon to Corsica on a Vespa.
They camped on a beach.
He still has a soft spot for old school scooters.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!