Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
New or used cars and Trucks.

My last three have been new. The very last I was going to buy used but a new car in that same model was going to be less money over all. The interest rate was 3 to 4 points lower on the new than the used.

DO you buy new or used?

I want a pickup for my next and I am not sure if I want to buy a used 4x4. Then again as long as I get a clean carfax it should be ok. But not all automotive repair places submit to carfax that I know of.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM  
Poison Idea

Used, used, used. New cars are about the worst investment you can make since they depreciate the minute you drive off the lot.

And fwiw, Carfax is a ripoff as most insurance companies don't even report to them. Save yourself the money and let your insurance agent run the VIN for you.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I agree with Motorcharge, no use paying that big premium for new just to save a little on the interest rate, and as for Carfax, many people will not even report to the insurance co, but will fix it themselves to save having their rates go up, especially if they have a high deductible. Buy used but spent $75-100 to have a good mechanic check it out. The best value is certified pre-owned, where the warranty is often better than the factory warranty on new. There are certified used 4x4 trucks available. While the dealer will charge more than a private party, it's worth it for that warranty
and ofetn there's more negotiation room on used since they buy low on trades.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I like old, used and reliable vehicles. I've had a number of new cars over the years, and they all set me back financially. Monthly payments are for the birds.

We now have two cars that we paid cash for (98 Wrangles and 06 Tribute), and they've both been very reliable and do everything we expect them to do.

I will never finance a car again.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I think the next one I get for myself is going to be used. But over all on the last one I saved quit a bit over a used one. That is if you don't count all the times I had to have it in the shop.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Used. I have/had certified new cars, but have always bought them flat out from stealership. Sadily my job does not pay me enough coin to have two newer cars in the barn. My personal wheels are all over 20yrs. old, while the wife and kids cruise around in a 07' Uplander. On the plus side I have two POS for myself. Though I don't take them on any long road trips, I think it would do them in.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
I buy used, from private sellers... Never had the money for new, and i don't like the way they look...and i wont go into payments...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM  
Will Travel By Jeep

Indianapolis, IN
My last five purchases have been new. Yeah I know... not the best investment. Before I just always had old used cars that I was always working on. I just got tired of that with a house and working a lot. But I'm done with car loans. The vehicles I have now are in really good condition.

I admit I may in a year or two sell one for a new Grand Cherokee.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM  

Vancleave, Mississippi
I'm a mechanic at a Toyota dealership, I'm gonna say go used, I like new but only if you plan to keep it til the wheels fall off. I've only bought used, but I tell everyone this, do NOT just look at the carfax and assume its all good. I spent months looking for a clean jeep before I bought the one I have now. Everyone I looked at had a clean carfax but that doesn't mean ****. I can wreck my jeep and fix it myself and it won't show up on my carfax. If your not mechanically inclined have someone look at it. Just find someone you can trust to look at it.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 AM  
Decent human being

Renton, WA
When I bought my last truck it was new in 08, I couldn't beat the interest rate and thats what made my decision

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads