Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
We always buy used - generally, whatever vehicle I have is a few grand, and then my wife's we usually buy later-model-from-a-dealership used. Of course, she gets the nicer car

But I agree with above said - I just can't stand the depreciation.

However, we do plan on buying a new car in 2012 - something that we'll plan on keeping until the wheels fall off. It's probably going to end up being a Prius. But the only time I'd recommend buying new is if you absolutely know you're going to keep it until it's dead.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
Used for me, no car payment. Parts are cheap and auto repair is easier on older vehicles.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Them Prius's aren't all that environmentally friendly if you look at the overall big picture.

JUST SAYING. I would never own one really.

I wish there was an affordable electric car. Shoot I drive 10 minutes one way if I stop and get coffee in the morning. Driving home take 7min 45 sec. I video taped it the other day.

I am trying to talk the wife into a bike for me and my son to ride to work. (Computer tech at an elementary school).
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Till I bought my Jeep 2 years ago I rode my bike to work everyday between the end of March and end of October. I need to do it again because driving to work is making me fat. It's only about 15 miles return, but when you do it everyday, rain or shine you fell good.

And I agree with you about the big picture on electric cars by the way
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
Them Prius's aren't all that environmentally friendly if you look at the overall big picture.

JUST SAYING. I would never own one really.

I wish there was an affordable electric car. Shoot I drive 10 minutes one way if I stop and get coffee in the morning. Driving home take 7min 45 sec. I video taped it the other day.

I am trying to talk the wife into a bike for me and my son to ride to work. (Computer tech at an elementary school).

Screw the earth, I just want to save money on gas.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 PM  

Vancleave, Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
We always buy used - generally, whatever vehicle I have is a few grand, and then my wife's we usually buy later-model-from-a-dealership used. Of course, she gets the nicer car

But I agree with above said - I just can't stand the depreciation.

However, we do plan on buying a new car in 2012 - something that we'll plan on keeping until the wheels fall off. It's probably going to end up being a Prius. But the only time I'd recommend buying new is if you absolutely know you're going to keep it until it's dead.
Wait for the plug-in prius. I'm a tech for a toyota dealership and got to look at one last time they sent me to school. I wanna say they said they'll be becoming more mainstream late this year or next year. But it can go up to 50-60 miles on the electric motor alone. Then when that runs out it just turns into a regular prius until you charge it back up. If your like me and have a 50 mile round trip communte then your almost never use gas on a day to day basis. As far as the environment goes, I don't believe in global warming so I wouldn't buy one for that reason but more for how it would basically pay for itself with the money you'll save.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow really? The official Prius press release says between 15-20 miles just on electricity. You sure you didn't just let out a company secret?

Main thing I worry about with the the plug-in Prius is the price. If they start getting too expensive, that's when I start losing interest in the potential money I'll be saving.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
anyone who thinks that a non collector vehicle purchase is an investment is pissing in the wind. a vehicle is a PURCHASE! nothing more nothing less. if you finance, its just a purchase on credit. every vehicle depreciates. beyond that FACT its just a matter of taste and what you can afford.

i personally buy new because i dont trust other vehicle owners. i like to know exactly what my vehicle has been through.

and on the subject of carfax, carfax is not leagally obligated to to diclose everything about a vehicle. the last vehicle i traded in had 10k worth of damage done when i traded it in, and it never showed up on the carfax. if the body shop/ insurance company doesnt report it, it wont show up...
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Of course vehicles depreciate. However, new vehicles depreciate immediately off the lot, and then at a much greater pace than used cars, which is what we're trying to say. If you're in that vehicle for the long-run, then it's for you. If not, you're going to lose a lot more money than if you would've bought something used, even with <10k on it.

Carfax isn't perfect, but someone familiar with cars should be able to look at a car and tell that there's been some repairs done. Especially if there's $10k worth - I could pick that one out of a parking lot.

What kind of car was it that didn't get totaled with $10k worth of work?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
2010 subaru outback. only had 300 miles on it. hit a deer. the parts are what made the bill so high. no frame damage, just new front end sheet metal and radiator.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.