Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 PM  

Suwanee, Ga
OnBoard Air Setup for CJ5

What size reserve tank is needed for my onboard air setup to be able to run an air tool to change my wheels? I would like to be able to do it anywhere and just keep an impact wrench in a toolbox. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM  

Suwanee, Ga
I read that 90 psi is needed, so is it best to have it coming from a seperate compressor independent of the engine or one powered by the engine?
Thanks

Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 PM  
Decent human being

Renton, WA
If your just looking to change tires, I would probably just look for a cordless electric impact gun. it would save a lot of room in a Jeep.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM  

Green Bay, Wisconsin
It all depends on the size of the compressor, how much air the tool uses, and how long you want to run the tool. I use an ac compressor in my Jeep with a 3 gallon tank and have no issues with running low on air.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
One of the favorites for on board air (OBA) is the York a/c compressor. It's a 2 cyl model with it's own oil sump, which is why its so popular. Should be relatively easy to find as well as it was used for several years on different vehicles.

Some good info here...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM  

depends on tire size i guess.... i wouldn't go any higher than like 3 gal... space is at a premium in those... u never have enough room

i would go with the cordless impact, however, it would probably be dead when i went to use it... lol
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM  

Westminster, Maryland
It takes a heck of a lot of air to run a impact wrench. There is noway a 3 gallon tank is going to do anything for you.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!