Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 PM  
Member
 
Bummer's Avatar

Southern Arizona, AZ
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 51 | Kudos: +13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Well, it's not mine, it's my wife's. 76 cj5. It's fun, she's been getting into working on it.
Very lucky wife!

What does she have planned for her CJ-5?
__________________

__________________
Just say NO to BBQ!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:05 PM  
Junior Member

Moreno Valley, California
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13 | Kudos: +11
Here's mine.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:33 PM  
Moderated
 
MAMMOTH's Avatar

OMAHA, NEBRASKA
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 295 | Kudos: +14
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM  
Junior Member

Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10 | Kudos: +11
This is mine!! 2001 Wrangler. My first Jeep.
Post Your Jeep-100_2977.jpg 

Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:17 AM  
Senior Member
 
ElKabong's Avatar

Pasadena, CA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 104 | Kudos: +17
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very lucky wife!

What does she have planned for her CJ-5?
At this point the plan is to get it running right, then to drive it for awhile & decide where to go after she's gotten a feel for it. The way she talks right now, it may never touch dirt again. Hopefully she'll get over that thought. We're keeping an eye out for a top. It has a frame for a soft top, but I don't know which one would fit it.

It's a 76 that originally had a V8. Someone swapped in a 79 6cyl. The wiring was for the V8 alternator & it didn't charge. At this point we've rewired under the hood (Following one of jeephammer's alternator diagrams ). It's starting & charging on it's own now. The carb has been rebuilt too.

Still ahead is cleaning up more interior & lighting wiring. It looks like psychedelic spaghetti under the dash.

And the distributor has points, but from what i can gather that generation should have electronic ignition. It's not running quite right yet, & I suspect a mismatch of ignition parts may be part of the problem.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:52 PM  
Member
 
Bummer's Avatar

Southern Arizona, AZ
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 51 | Kudos: +13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
At this point the plan is to get it running right, then to drive it for awhile & decide where to go after she's gotten a feel for it. The way she talks right now, it may never touch dirt again. Hopefully she'll get over that thought. We're keeping an eye out for a top. It has a frame for a soft top, but I don't know which one would fit it.

It's a 76 that originally had a V8. Someone swapped in a 79 6cyl. The wiring was for the V8 alternator & it didn't charge. At this point we've rewired under the hood (Following one of jeephammer's alternator diagrams ). It's starting & charging on it's own now. The carb has been rebuilt too.

Still ahead is cleaning up more interior & lighting wiring. It looks like psychedelic spaghetti under the dash.

And the distributor has points, but from what i can gather that generation should have electronic ignition. It's not running quite right yet, & I suspect a mismatch of ignition parts may be part of the problem.
Damn, Elkabong . . . swapping a V8 for a 6 is downright criminal.

I have been searching for a qualified and experience mechanic willing to swap my 4.2L 6 cylinder for a V8 . . . nothing special, just a nice smooth running Chevy 5.3L or 5.7L.

As for a top for your Jeep . . . I've seen plenty, both hard and soft, for CJ-7s but rarely for CJ-5s.

GOOD LUCK
__________________
Just say NO to BBQ!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:58 AM  
Senior Member
 
ElKabong's Avatar

Pasadena, CA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 104 | Kudos: +17
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Damn, Elkabong . . . swapping a V8 for a 6 is downright criminal.
Yeah, it seemed backwards to me. But that's what was in it when we bought it, so we're trying to get it roadworthy with the 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
As for a top for your Jeep . . . I've seen plenty, both hard and soft, for CJ-7s but rarely for CJ-5s.
That seems to be what we're finding. I found 1 hard top that was clear across the country, so shipping would kill it. I've seen a few soft tops for it, but they appear to be different for a stock frame vs an aftermarket frame. We'll need to figure out which it has, or replace the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
GOOD LUCK
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 AM  
Junior Member

New Jersey, New Jersey
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2 | Kudos: +10
Nice trucks......i liked the one JLCinLA has got. it looks like a hummer
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM  
Junior Member

Antioch, TN
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 20 | Kudos: +10
91 XJ
Converted from 2wd to 4wd.
Tube front bumper
Trimmed rear bumper
Trimmed front and rear fenders
Cut and folded rear quarter panels
Desert tan paint job
6" lift
31" Wrangler MTRs
Ford 8.8
Front skid
Gas tank skid
SYE
Converted interior from all tan to black and gray.
Power doors to be added soon
Few other odds and ends here and there.
Post Your Jeep-jeep.jpg 

Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:55 PM  
Senior Member
 
Jake7's Avatar

Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,294 | Kudos: +135
Images: 45
:drool: I'll always love XJ's. Every time I sell one, I immediately regret it!
__________________

__________________
Discover Scentsy at Lucky Lucy Scentsy Products - an independent Scentsy consultant!


https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.