Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM  

Southern Arizona, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Well, it's not mine, it's my wife's. 76 cj5. It's fun, she's been getting into working on it.
Very lucky wife!

What does she have planned for her CJ-5?

Old 10-20-2010, 04:05 PM  

Moreno Valley, California
Here's mine.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM  
Moderated

OMAHA, NEBRASKA
Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM  

Virginia
This is mine!! 2001 Wrangler. My first Jeep.
Post Your Jeep-100_2977.jpg 

Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 AM  

Pasadena, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very lucky wife!

What does she have planned for her CJ-5?
At this point the plan is to get it running right, then to drive it for awhile & decide where to go after she's gotten a feel for it. The way she talks right now, it may never touch dirt again. Hopefully she'll get over that thought. We're keeping an eye out for a top. It has a frame for a soft top, but I don't know which one would fit it.

It's a 76 that originally had a V8. Someone swapped in a 79 6cyl. The wiring was for the V8 alternator & it didn't charge. At this point we've rewired under the hood (Following one of jeephammer's alternator diagrams ). It's starting & charging on it's own now. The carb has been rebuilt too.

Still ahead is cleaning up more interior & lighting wiring. It looks like psychedelic spaghetti under the dash.

And the distributor has points, but from what i can gather that generation should have electronic ignition. It's not running quite right yet, & I suspect a mismatch of ignition parts may be part of the problem.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM  

Southern Arizona, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
At this point the plan is to get it running right, then to drive it for awhile & decide where to go after she's gotten a feel for it. The way she talks right now, it may never touch dirt again. Hopefully she'll get over that thought. We're keeping an eye out for a top. It has a frame for a soft top, but I don't know which one would fit it.

It's a 76 that originally had a V8. Someone swapped in a 79 6cyl. The wiring was for the V8 alternator & it didn't charge. At this point we've rewired under the hood (Following one of jeephammer's alternator diagrams ). It's starting & charging on it's own now. The carb has been rebuilt too.

Still ahead is cleaning up more interior & lighting wiring. It looks like psychedelic spaghetti under the dash.

And the distributor has points, but from what i can gather that generation should have electronic ignition. It's not running quite right yet, & I suspect a mismatch of ignition parts may be part of the problem.
Damn, Elkabong . . . swapping a V8 for a 6 is downright criminal.

I have been searching for a qualified and experience mechanic willing to swap my 4.2L 6 cylinder for a V8 . . . nothing special, just a nice smooth running Chevy 5.3L or 5.7L.

As for a top for your Jeep . . . I've seen plenty, both hard and soft, for CJ-7s but rarely for CJ-5s.

GOOD LUCK
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 PM  

Pasadena, CA
Quote:
Damn, Elkabong . . . swapping a V8 for a 6 is downright criminal.
Yeah, it seemed backwards to me. But that's what was in it when we bought it, so we're trying to get it roadworthy with the 6.

Quote:
As for a top for your Jeep . . . I've seen plenty, both hard and soft, for CJ-7s but rarely for CJ-5s.
That seems to be what we're finding. I found 1 hard top that was clear across the country, so shipping would kill it. I've seen a few soft tops for it, but they appear to be different for a stock frame vs an aftermarket frame. We'll need to figure out which it has, or replace the whole thing.

Quote:
GOOD LUCK
Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 02:59 AM  

New Jersey, New Jersey
Nice trucks......i liked the one JLCinLA has got. it looks like a hummer
Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 AM  

Antioch, TN
91 XJ
Converted from 2wd to 4wd.
Tube front bumper
Trimmed rear bumper
Trimmed front and rear fenders
Cut and folded rear quarter panels
Desert tan paint job
6" lift
31" Wrangler MTRs
Ford 8.8
Front skid
Gas tank skid
SYE
Converted interior from all tan to black and gray.
Power doors to be added soon
Few other odds and ends here and there.
Post Your Jeep-jeep.jpg 

Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
:drool: I'll always love XJ's. Every time I sell one, I immediately regret it!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.