Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 06:55 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Prius/hybrid owners

My wife and I currently have a 2007 Mazda 5, which we enjoy a lot. We've got 2 small kids, which it has plenty of room for, and it still gets pretty good gas mileage (says a guy who's used to Jeeps) at around 22 in the city loaded with my family, and 30+ on the highway loaded. By myself, I can pull 25 in the city and 35 on the highway.

Anyhow, we're looking to get something even more gas efficient, while not losing a lot of space. Since we're already getting 30+, I'm looking to step it up to something 40+.

Any reviews from any of you guys whom has/wife has a hybrid?

Of course I gravitate towards the Prius because they've been doing it the longest, but I want to keep my mind open.

Thanks guys!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-20-2010, 08:34 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I have driven my sister-in-law's Prius a few times, and other than being ugly it has been great, plenty of pep and gets as much as 50 mpg. The back seat seems a little cramped for adults, though. I drive a Honda Civic Hybrid at work and don't like it at all. The driver door is too long, you can't reach it to close,
and the worst thing is the way the brake regeneration works. You cannot inch forward, like when trying to get into a parking space in front of a wall or opposite another parked car. Also, the engine shuts off too fast when stopped at a stop sign, very annoying on a hill, almost like having a stick shift as it will roll back a bit before the engine kicks back on and it moves again. I drove a rental Hybrid Escape and that was fun, with a lot more room, but then only got about 34 mpg.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hmm, I've never heard those complaints before. I'd read about the brake regeneration, but haven't read into it that much I suppose.

My second behind the Prius is the Honda Civic Hybrid, so I'll be sure and keep that in mind.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 AM  

georgetown, colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Of course I gravitate towards the Prius because they've been doing it the longest, but I want to keep my mind open.

Thanks guys!
lies. VW has been getting 40+mpg the longest. tdi.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:31 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
lies. VW has been getting 40+mpg the longest. tdi.
I meant making hybrids the longest. Although the idea's been around for a bit, Toyota was the first to mass-produce a hybrid, starting in 97.

And VW released the TDI in North America in late 96.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM  

Glendale, Arizona
Have you taken a ride in the ford fusions hybrids? A friend of mine has one of those and I really like the ride in it. I mean, if you are set on hybrid. I'd get a diesel before I got a hybrid though. Less things to go wrong and need replacing in the long run.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Actually, Prius has been the #1 most reliable compact car for the past 3 years, so they're beating out the diesels in terms of reliability. That survey is based on problems per 100 buyers.

I have looked into the Fusion Hybrid, but I wanna say it starts a full 7k over the Prius. For me, a brand new Hybrid to come onto the market and have that high of a base price, even when they're going against the comparably sized Prius whose been around for 10 years, that just immediately loses my interest.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM  

Lawrence, Kansas
I work at a tire shop and have driven quite a few hybrids around in our parking lot, granted that isnt really the best way to decide how a car drives. But I think that they are all about the same. I feel like the honda civic hybrid is a joke though. When we get one in the gas mileage monitor never shows more then 33 mpg. I mean my wifes G5 does that.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Really? I've never heard that. I'd love to hear from someone who's actually had a Civic hybrid...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I've got 2 TDIs. An 05 Passat wagon that gets 40+ and an 03 Jetta that I average 50MPG. I have taken the Passat with 4 adults, 1 dog, a roof rack, skis and snow board, luggage for the adults and Christmas present from Seattle to Boise with the snow and mountains and averaged just under 40MPG. No way a Prius could do that.
If you want fuel economy for driving around town, get a hybrid. If you want fuel economy for the road get a Diesel. The Prius gets about 30+ on the highway and my Passat gets about 30+ around town.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads