Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2010, 03:43 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
However, if you can settle for 36 MPG you can buy 3 Hyundai Accents for the same money at our local dealer's 2010 clearance sale for $7,999.
Haha, I really hope you're joking...

Hyundia's got its reputation for good reason!

I remember last year a local dealership did a buy an F-150 and get a Hyundai free!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Haha, I really hope you're joking...

Hyundia's got its reputation for good reason!
Yes and no, I think the extra money for a hybrid is not worth it unless you do a lot of driving around town, but Hyundai definitely did suffer from a poor quality reputation compared to Honda and Toyota. Lately though, at least one of their models seems to be better, rated #5. Whooa, the first Toyota is down at #13 and the Prius is rated #15, and the two best for overall reliability are a Chevy and a Ford. Who would have thought?

Ratings | J.D. Power

Old 12-11-2010, 04:47 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
initial quiality means nothing 10k later, and it means nothing for resale value...
Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
initial quiality means nothing 10k later, and it means nothing for resale value...
You are right, of course, but "resale value" is one of my pet peeves with manufacturer and dealer advertising.

If a car is reliable and well built it should go over 200,000 miles, who would care what the resale value is if it's good enough to keep that long, you'll get your money's worth out of it.
Seems to me that bragging about resale value means you'd want to trade it in within a few years.

I've never owned a Hyundai and likely never will, but would never buy another Toyota either. We had a '96 4Runner that was awful, a money pit, and all these recent recalls mean they lost touch with their great heritage for quality. Currently we have a Jeep and two Fords.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
not everyone keeps vehicles to 200k. i know i dont. my vehicles are lucky to make it to 50k with me. not looking to start a discussion about that, but i know i am not the only one who likes to have newer vehicles. to people like me resale value is a huge deal.

fwiw, our 2009 corolla that we paid cash new for now has 55k miles on it. my wife will be trading it in next august when she graduates. in 2.5 years of ownership and 55k miles later it has depreciated 3k$ TRADE IN VALUE. lets see a hyundai do that!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:58 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
not everyone keeps vehicles to 200k. i know i dont. my vehicles are lucky to make it to 50k with me. not looking to start a discussion about that, but i know i am not the only one who likes to have newer vehicles. to people like me resale value is a huge deal.

fwiw, our 2009 corolla that we paid cash new for now has 55k miles on it. my wife will be trading it in next august when she graduates. in 2.5 years of ownership and 55k miles later it has depreciated 3k$ TRADE IN VALUE. lets see a hyundai do that!
I think Hondas do even better. I too normally trade by about 80-100k, most people do. You either get tired of it or want to get rid of it before it starts to need work. In fact most trade before the 90,000 service because it's so expensive.

Back to the topic, I drove a company Civic Hybrid again yesterday and found a new issue, stopped on a downhill at a light, let off the brake and the engine starts and it lurched forward. The few times I drove a Prius, it never did that.
May be a service issue I suppose but it only has 20,00 miles.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:55 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah I'd have to agree that initial quality isn't really one of the things I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is long-term dependability and gas mileage, which is two things that the Prius really fluorishes at.

Ahh yes now I see the price difference - the Ford Focus is definitely a bit cheaper than the Prius. I might go and look for one, but it'd take a lot to switch me over from a Prius.

I'll be honest, I've had really bad experiences with Ford and it'd take a lot for them to win back my business. Anyone know what kind of warranty is coming with this new line of Focuses?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
dont skip over the corolla either. we, on several occasions, have averaged 45 mpg through several tanks on road trips.... ford really has upped their game lately. not enjoying the mazda5?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post

I'll be honest, I've had really bad experiences with Ford and it'd take a lot for them to win back my business. Anyone know what kind of warranty is coming with this new line of Focuses?
The standard Ford warranty, 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper and 5/60 power train. I have driven the Ford Fusion (rental) and that was a great fun car with plenty of room, that also does come in a 41 mpg hybrid. I don't know about the price but you might check it out at the Ford website. It definitely had more room than the Prius.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
dont skip over the corolla either. we, on several occasions, have averaged 45 mpg through several tanks on road trips.... ford really has upped their game lately. not enjoying the mazda5?
No we're enjoying it plenty! It's got plenty of room, 3rd row seatings, and decent fuel economy. But we're just looking to get something to finally keep for at least 6+ years, so we're looking to buy something new. And with the rising gas prices and my monster XJ, our family car needs to be something with outstanding fuel economy and dependability.

In short, I'm trying to break my car-ADD symptoms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
The standard Ford warranty, 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper and 5/60 power train. I have driven the Ford Fusion (rental) and that was a great fun car with plenty of room, that also does come in a 41 mpg hybrid. I don't know about the price but you might check it out at the Ford website. It definitely had more room than the Prius.
Yeah, that's the same warranty as the Prius. I may rent a Fusion just to see how I like it. I'm not going to lie, like I said before,it'll take a lot to switch me over, but I'll give it a shot.

Another reason I'm so tied into the Prius is just for the fact that it's already in their third generation and has been doing it for over 10 years - so I'd hope they've worked out some of the kinks. That combined with their complaints/lawsuits over the 07-08 models, I'd hope that their production line is under a lot of pressure/oversight right now!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!