Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
spider nests

Quote:
Mazda recalls 65,000 cars for spider problem
In certain Mazda6 cars, spider nests in hoses linked to fuel tank systems could cause pressurization and ventilation problems, Mazda says.
HTML Code:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mazda-spider-20110304,0,6199399.story

Quote:
Mazda Motor Corp. has an itsy-bitsy problem, and it's recalling 65,000 cars to fix it.

Spider nests in tiny rubber hoses linked to fuel tank systems could cause pressurization and ventilation problems in certain cars, according to the Japanese automaker.

In a worst-case scenario, such clogs could lead to fuel leaks and fires. But the problem hasn't resulted in any serious incidents so far, the company said, and all technicians fixing the hoses have escaped unbitten.

After dealers around the country found 20 cases of the arachnid infestation, the company pulled back 65,000 Mazda6 cars from the 2009 and 2010 model years in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Mazda identified the culprit as the yellow sac spider, or Cheiracanthium inclusum. The pale, mildly venomous creatures lay their eggs in silk-wrapped bunches ? usually in vegetation.

But why they're choosing Mazdas instead of, say, Porsche Spyders, is a mystery. As is the fact that only the 4-cylinder Mazda6 cars are playing host.

"We really don't know how they're getting in," said Jeremy Barnes, a spokesman for Mazda North American Operations. "I'd think it would be pretty tricky, but spiders are resourceful."

Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
In summer I store my hardtop in the yard on some 2x4's.

It doesn't matter how carefully I clean it in the fall before putting it back on, I always have cobwebs in the winter.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Our two apt. complexes are infested with one type of spider. The weird thing is there are very few bugs for them to eat. The few I've found inside I leave alone and every one starves to death.
Last Summer I happened to catch a new hatch where several hundred babies so tiny they could barely be seen tried to leave the mother web and seek their fortunes. A can of WD40 and a bic sent every one directly to hell.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 PM  

MANASSAS, VA
yipes! I once had a spider come off my sunvisor and land in my lap. Luckily I was at a red light. Luckily I was able to GTFO of the car and entertain the other drivers by dancing like a mad man until the spider was gone.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelicturkey View Post
yipes! I once had a spider come off my sunvisor and land in my lap. Luckily I was at a red light. Luckily I was able to GTFO of the car and entertain the other drivers by dancing like a mad man until the spider was gone.
As a kid in MN I always had a BB gun or .22 in hand. One day working my way through thick brush I felt something like a cobweb on my face. My eyes were closed because the bushes were a whippy type of growth that could raise a welt.
I stopped to remove the cobweb thingie and opened my eyes. About three inches in front of my nose was a North American garden spider (completely nonharmful) the size of which exceeded that of a pie plate. I immediately became arachnaphobic big time.
A spider appearing in my lap in a moving car might have been the end of me. I decided to try to defuse the fear by allowing any spiders that cared to walk on me free rein. It was shaky at first and I'll never like spiders but I don't miss fearing them one bit.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelicturkey View Post
I'm sorry, but

The lady I work with is scared to death of mice. She said if one ran out while she was driving [the semi] she'd wreck the truck...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 AM  

New York
Ya, this is a strange one... I work for Mazda and the real strange thing is they had the same issue back in I think it was 95.... Just one type of spider, in just one type car... realy strange. Must just be one of those perfect storm things... not to much info on the recall yet, but looks likd it might be a simple relocate, and maybe a small filter in the end of it
Old 03-05-2011, 06:20 AM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
Was it a vent line? Or something te spiders got into before it was assembled?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.