Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 PM  

Boston, MA
Fun Off the Beaten Path things to do in Boston

If you know any hidden gems or special places off the beaten path post them up here! Whether it's something like restaurants or outdoor activities (the latter appealing more to me!) I think it would be nice to know of. I drive an hour + in any direction every weekend to get out of the city and do something outdoors. I know of a few places to go nearby, but could always use more. One of my favorite 'local' places to go is the middlesex fells. I can take my dog or my mountain bike...but no dirtbikes or 4x4's of course!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 PM  

Carver, Massachusetts
It's not really hidden but you can hike or bike up Blue Hill
Also its more street than mountain biking, but there is the path along the whole length of the cape cod canal

Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM  

Jamaica Plain, MA
The Arnold Arboretum is really nice to walk around. They have guided tours in the warm months as well. And those of us visiting cityprofile.com from homebrewtalk.com, they have HOPS! But they don't let you take any - it's sort of a living museum of flora.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM  

Boston, MA
What about water activities? I know its bit hard to stash a kayak in a Boston apt but many places rent and there's no shortage of wet places.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 PM  

Head out to the fells, kayak on the charles, or up to the beach if you're inclined.

Most people don't realize as well that you can get up to the White Mountains in and hour and a half or so or less - NH lakes region and the white's leave pretty much endless possibilities!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 AM  

MA
+1 on the Arnold Arboretum. Love it on a mid-morning weekday when all's pretty quiet. In the winter, a walk through the evergreen section is lovely.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM  

MA
Probably nicer in summer/spring, but I love the urban hike from the Back Bay Fens (off of Boylston St. 2 blocks from Mass Ave eastward (Boylston, Fenway, Charlesgate intersection) all the way through Jamaica Pond, even to the Arboretum.

And Comm ave from Mass Ave to the Public garden is a lovely stroll.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 PM  

Austin, TX, Texas
been a few years, but my favorites.

red bones
the clam box (great lobster roll)
Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 PM  

Somerville, MA
check out Johnny D's jazz brunch in Davis Sq on the weekends
Johnny D's
Old 12-26-2010, 05:38 PM  

Last time I was in Boston I went to the Hen House where they serve chicken and waffles! This is the only restaurant I know of that has this meal combination. It sounds kind of weird at first, but it was surprisingly good. You can choose the type of waffle, butter, and chicken and you will not be disappointed. Prices are decent too.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.