Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM  

Columbus
California Mansion

Does anyone know where this house is located?
California Mansion-house.jpg 

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 AM  

That is Hearst Castle, located n/o San Luis Obispo....a great "must see" vacation spot!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 PM  

Porterville, California
Great place to take the family. Very Beautiful....
Old 12-11-2010, 04:17 PM  

Los Angeles, CA
It's actually closer to Paso Robles/Cambria. If you go there, and also like wine, I highly recommend staying a few days and visiting a few of the wineries in the area. Also, plenty of good restaurants in that area. Also you cannot see all of Hearst Castle in one shot. There are actually several different tours that visit various parts of the property.

Also roughly across the street from Hearst Castle is a state park where you can see seals swimming around. And there happens to be a great sandwich shop next to the park. I mean, REALLY good sandwiches.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM  

Sammamish, WA
If you're that close to San Luis Obispo, stop also at the Madonna Inn and use the restrooms. Even the women will want to sneak in and see it.

The Urinals of the Madonna Inn
Old 12-17-2010, 03:14 PM  

bakersfield, ca
its a nice place to visit, I was there once. If you have time I say its worth it to stop and take one of the tours.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 PM  

Simi Valley, California
Been there a couple of times ... lots of different tours to choose from. Enjoyed it but can't imagine anyone living in a place like that. It's more like a museum than a home.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 AM  

Bakersfield, CA
The town is called San Simeon. The house was built by William Randolph Hearst, the newspaper magnate (and grandfather of the infamous Patty Hearst). The house is owned by the state of California since it was donated by the Hearst Corporation in 1957. The name given to the property by W.R. Hearst was La Cuesta Encantada ("The Enchanted Slope"). It was a well-known retreat for the Hollywood and political elite of the 1920 and 1930s.

If you are going to visit, there is a nice little motel 3 miles south of the gate that my family stays at all the time when we are in the area. It's not a Hilton but it is nice, clean, and inexpensive. TV and cell phone service is very sketchy in the area. Courtesy Inn of San Simeon

And make sure to stop in for some of the best BBQ ribs in California at the Main Street Grill in Cambria just a few miles farther south!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!