Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 PM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
California Motorcycle Trip 2011

I took an amazing motorcycle trip last weekend and I thought I'd share! We have the most amazing roads here in California. I could ride for the next two decades here an not hit all the roads we have. On this trip, we started in San Jose, rode down to So Cal to meet up with some friends, rode the nice roads in Angeles National Forest, then rode some different roads home. Three days, 1124 miles, as few as possible in a straight line

Day 1 Map

HWY 25 through Hollister is a great road, lots of fast sweepers and pretty clean (watch out for cattle crossing though LOL). We hit I5 in Coalinga and took that the rest of the way to get there faster. Boring but easy and quick.

Day 2 Map

This is the ride we were really down for. Big Bear Road, Angeles Crest Highway (yes it's back open), Little Tujunga Canyon Road. Beautiful. Now I know what all the hype is about, Angeles Crest Highway was made for motorcycles. It has miles and miles of good pavement and big predictable sweepers. It's really paradise. And it's looooong! Little Tujunga Canyon Road is a lot of fun but for different reasons. It's got a variety of tight and fast curves that make it very technical, which is a lot of fun to me. It was a 12 hour day, but well worth it.

Day 3 Map

The ride home. I had ridden HWY 33 before, it is always a good time. Medium speed, light traffic most of the time, but you have to watch out for road conditions; Caltrans doesn't make it up there very often. This time was clean, but last time there was sand in the road next to all the turnouts. Slippy slidy at those speeds isn't fun. HWY 58 is okay but not my favorite. It does have a 2-3 mile stretch that is amazingly fun though. HWY 229, nicknamed "Rossi's Driveway" is a fun road too. I hadn't been there so I didn't really know what to expect. It was, uh, interesting. Very good pavement, but it's a real rollercoaster. Mixed turns, with some wild undulations that keep your attention! I'm sure it would have been more fun the 2nd or even 3rd time, but I had to get home. Next time.

Overall a great trip, I love going to So Cal, and love the roads in between! Here are some pics and video:

California Motorcycle Trip 2011-travishotel.jpg 

California Motorcycle Trip 2011-travisach.jpg 

California Motorcycle Trip 2011-lunchhwy33.jpg 

California Motorcycle Trip 2011-farewellsafterojai.jpg 

Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Ride on!
Looks like a blast.
You should check out the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton one day.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
That looks great, but a loooong ways away! When my kids are older I'd like to do some epic trips that cover lots of the US and Canada, possibly even South America. But for now, it's amazing to know that we have so many good roads here in California that are no more than a day's ride away. That'll hold me over for a while
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM  

Looks like a really great time!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Looks like a really great time!
Thanks, it was. In addition to the good roads and great time with friends, the weather was perfect.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Looks like you guys had a blast. I'd love to cruise PSH1 on a bike some day. As well as whatever highway runs up the east coast.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!