Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 PM  

Concord, California
I'm not big on camping in populated areas. I enjoy going up to Plumas County. There are so many great places hidden up there. You can also find several camp grounds in the area. The 4 wheeling up there is wonderful.

I also camped at Pismo Beach for the first time last spring. If you don't mind hanging out with fellow campers, it is a blast! Great dunes out there. But the sand can be pretty killer!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM  

Santa Cruz, CA
Just spent a few nights up at the McCloud river, around the Mt Shasta area. Awesome. Lots of trout. I just moved to this area (santa cruz) a couple months ago, so the only other place I've camped was up the Plaskett Ridge road, just off the 1 in the Big Sur area. Killer views of the ocean and cliffs from about 2500 ft up on the ridge.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 PM  

chico, ca
Redding has a ton of cool options if you like the outdoors. Whiskeytown Lake is nearby and is a hidden gem. Not many people, lots of fishing and boating (sailing too). Great place for families.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM  

Central Ca.
Since it's local for me... just about anywhere in the Sierra national forest. Hundreds of places to camp. All within a couple hrs. drive for me. I prefer anywhere primitive near a stream or lake, but sometimes a developed site works, too. Mono Hot springs is one of my favs if it's not too crowded. Spent lots of time there as a kid. Huntington lake has lots of sites. Courtright lake @ the S.E. side of the Dusy/Ershim trail has some cool primitive lake side spots. (if you have a 4x4) Typically, I prefer the higher elevations.

WRM
Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM  

Paso Robles, California
I like big sur also red and coyote lakes
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
We did most of our camping in the Mendocino National Forest.

Out side of Weaverville are some great places.

Also over on the coast north of Fort Bragg.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 PM  

Paso Robles, CA
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I have been looking for a few good camping spots and cant wait to try some of these out! Anybody have any good places to stay in a cabin, my wife hates camping so its hard to get her to go for more than 1 night unless there is a cabin! Thanks!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 PM  

Merced, California
Used to camp a lot at Cherry Creek near Jonesville past Butte Meadows.

Some of our current favorites are:
  • Dispersed camping NW of Shaver Lake. Tons of OHV trails nearby to explore.
  • Upper Chiquito of Beasore Rd. north of Bass Lake. Huge campsites, beautiful area, close to a couple OHV trails.
  • Soquel up off of Sky Ranch Rd. north of Oakhurst.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM  

didn't skiddey make a thread like this? only it was like about hiking, camping and backpacking.

but yeah kings canyon/sequoia national parks are a great place to go camping.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM  

Sacramento, California
For ocean camping in a campground with facilities, Jalama in Santa Barbara County and Wrights Beach in Sonoma County are hard to beat.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.