Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM  

Valencia, California
Hey Jeepster83, good point about the highest/lowest point fact. There is an annual charity bike race called the Whitney Classic, that starts in badwater (-282 feet) and rides to Lone Pine and up the Mt. Whitney road to the portals (+8500 feet) which is where the paved road ends. The route crosses over two major passes before the final big grade (all considered "HC" or out-of-catagory rated by Tour De France rating system) for a total elevation gain of over 13000 feet. Oh, and it starts at 3pm in early fall, starting temperatures usually are between 110-125 degrees. I have been in it a few times, and it is quite an experience.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
The best reason I can think of to visit California.........After you do, you're glad you don't live there!!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 AM  

Moorpark, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
The best reason I can think of to visit California.........After you do, you're glad you don't live there!!
It was only a matter of time before someone threw that out there
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM  

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i couldnt disagree more. theres nothing you can't do in cali. theres all major types of professional sports, any kind of outdoor or indoor recreation, and some of the most beautiful landscape you could dream of. not to mention the short drive/ride to any kind of setting you want. you can see the desert, sierras, and coast in one day if you wanted. just about any kind of forest you want to visit, and the food that is grown here feeds not only california but is sent to ALL 50 states. we have the US's best wine country, the best quality cheeses, and for the most part, the people in california are just good people.

sure you get the occasional d-bag or group of them, but where can you go and not encounter one or two?

a lot of people will say that America is a country without culture and if you have ever been to california you will certainly disagree with that. i live in the Sacramento area and nowhere have i ever seen such a diverse and colorful population, and ive been around. while Sacramento is not my favorite place in the world, California certainly is.

Oregon on the other hand...
Old 09-26-2010, 05:47 PM  

Sacramento, CA
California is like 2 states, Southern is more for city destinations and northern is more outdoorsy
Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM  

Jackson, California
"Please give me one good reason to visit California"

KPH. California happens to be the home of the last continuously operating CW (Morse Code) maritime station, originally built by Mr. Marconi himself. And, it just happens to be located in one of the most beautiful parks in the whole country as well, Pt. Reyes National seashore. The lighthouse is also a nice place to visit. I think the station is open to the public on Saturdays only. Those people know a LOT about that stuff and will fascinate you with hands-on displays and you can watch them work the station and communicate with ships all over the world.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:12 PM  

San Jose, CA
Well if you're a surfer, don't come. Locals only
J/K but where else can you have wheeling, surfing, snowboarding, good eats all within a little driving distance
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 AM  

Elk Grove, California
The northern coast is pretty nice as well, ur not going to surf but the views are awesome. There is yosemite and if u like wheeling theres the Rubicon.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM  

bakersfield, ca
simple, so you can say that hey I've bee to California too and yes I saw the Hollywood sign.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM  

camarillo, c
Because California is a great place to visit and it is hard not to stay.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!