Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM  

Goleta, CA
What is your favorite California Mission?

I have only seen 3 of them so far, but would like everyone's opinion on which is the best, biggest, or just most interesting.

Current favorite is La Purisma (near Lompoc) because of its huge size, lots a buildings, and you can just spend hours there wandering around.
What is your favorite California Mission?-pc300180.jpg 

What is your favorite California Mission?-pc300187.jpg 

What is your favorite California Mission?-p4030275.jpg 

What is your favorite California Mission?-pc300185.jpg 

Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 AM  

Central Ca.
Don't believe I've ever been to the one by Lompoc. Have been to maybe 2/3 of them. Carmel is cool. Has inside tours. Santa Barbara is certainly one of the bigger/nicer maintained ones.

WRM

Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 AM  

Goleta, CA
I really do like the Santa Barbara mission, but I feel like $8/person is a bit steep to walk through an old building.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 PM  

Bakersfield, California
Missions

My Fav is San Luis my son got married there last year....Geezusfrek
Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 PM  

Coarsegold, CA
San Juan Bautista near Hollister is very pretty.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 PM  

Wish I could say I had some authority on the subject, but it's pretty limited. However, I have really liked Santa Barbara's and San Diego's most amongst the few I've visited.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM  
Chair and Pie

Monterey County, CA
san antonio
Old 12-29-2010, 03:09 PM  

Santa barbara, CA
Santa Barbara. Never gone on the tour but have driven by it every day for the last 15 years on a daily basis heading to work. Huge grass area accross the street where families gather, rose garden etc. Events are held there all year around like fiesta dancing, chalk painting and you can even take in the 4th of july fireworks.
Maybe I should take a tour...
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM  

Nevada
I've been very fortunate to have visited all 21 California missions ? plus three in Baja California. I have to admit that not any single one is my ?favorite.? to me, all of them are awesome.

Think of it. In the late 1700s, men wearing grey robes enter an unknown land occupied by thousands of naked savages waving their spears, bows, and arrows. Outnumbered, with a minimum of soldiers to protect them, the friars located sites and materials, laid out the structure without any degrees in architecture, and built them with the help of people who had never dreamed of anything like agriculture or constructing such structures.

What about the numerous Indian slaves they had?

That is one of the biggest lies foisted upon those interested in California history!

Due to the kindness and devotion shown by the friars, the Indians willingly came to the various sites. Their work days were far, far easier than any we experience now ? more then two centuries later. They attended morning prayers, ate breakfast better than what they'd known before, spent two hours in religious instruction, worked for two hours, then broke for lunch. That was followed by two more hours of work, after which they were free to look after their own needs and desires.

How about the whippings to make them work?

Another bald-faced lie!

Only when the individual could no longer be corrected verbally did the friars spank them as a parent would spank a child of their time. The friars looked upon the Indians as children to whom they, as spiritual leaders and parents, were responsible to look over. As parents, they spanked their children when necessary. A clear and inviolate rule was that no punishment was to cause blood to flow, create crippling bruises, or other harm. For proof, check out Hispanic California Revisited by the Franciscan Press of Mission Santa Barbara. [Be it known, the friars daily ?punished? themselves far, far worse!]
So, which is my favorite?

San Carlos Borromeo at Carmel due to its unique architecture and beautiful interior ? and that it served as the headquarters for the Franciscan friars.

San Gabriel Archangel as it was the biggest with the most productive horse herds and livestock.

San Juan Capistrano as it shows best the various mission industries.
San Antonio de Padua which lies far from the beaten path and is probably closest to what the missions were like in the late 1700s.

I found my extensive research into the founding of the missions most enjoyable. I hope that some of you will like the results of that when the first of my three novels about Father Serra's Legacy, The Sailor and The Carpenter, comes out early in 2012. To keep abreast of its progress, please come and visit A Soldier's Tales @ A Soldier's Stories. Look forward to seeing you there.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Welcome to the site Dale. It's always nice to see another renaissance man join the fray

I also enjoy historical buildings and the tales they tell, and when I finally do make it to California, the missions are on my agenda, so keep the posts coming. I'm taking notes.

I looked through your blog. Austria and goat meat are among my favorites.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.