Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM  

Nevada
About the founding of the California missions.[/b]

In writing my novels about the subject, I've conducted extensive research to ensure the material - while mainly fictional - is historically correct. I've come across lots and lots of interesting stuff which I plan to post on my blog.

Two posts I've already made were about the fearsome grizzly bears that roamed the state and terrorized the Indians, how Spanish tiles were first introduced, and the amazing adaptability and skills displayed by friars whose main education was in ecclesiastical in nature.

Anyhow, stop by, enjoy, ask questions, and comments.

Look forward to seeing you.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM  

Nevada
Historical tidbits about Southern California

I just recently posted some interesting tidbits about the history of Southern California on my blog, A Soldier's Tales @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.ccom

stop by and enjoy. Comments always welcome.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:15 PM  
fustrated genius

Hey cabbie, I looked through your blog, as you know, there were some things I didn't agree with your sources, that new section I did agree with.

Check these out . . Malibu "surf sounds loud" or "loud surf" Chumash
pismo (as in pismo beach) tar or oily . . That's where they got the coating for their tomols also Chumash

Dominguez Hills . . . after one of the 8 Spanish land grant holders

Guajome (north San Diego Co.) frog home (home/jome was a NA word never known to Europeans prior to the merge)

again, these are off the top of my head and subject to poor memory.

More just thought of . . . a rebelien in Los Angeles 1823. They sent to Santa Barbara to squash it but had to wait for weapons to arrive from clear up in Monterey.

Major quake in 1812 . . . caved in church on NA worshipping in San Juan Capistrano, same quake damaged missions clear to Santa Barbara
Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
The two missions on the Colorado river were founded by Franciscans. After the military and civilians mistreated the local Indians, they rose up and killed everyone, including the friars that other Indians [disciples] had tried to hide. In fact, the friars stepped forward and pleaded with the Indians to put down their arms. Not only the friars were killed but so was Governor/Captain Rivera who had been with Father Serra on his original trek through Baja California and was one of the early governors of California.
Yes, but not so much too. The Government in Mexico, (still Nueva Espana), agreed to settle and make two missions because the natives were asking and begging for them to do so. When they did, they were promised, if they would give up their choice land (irregated by hand dug canals from Colorado River) and move into the mission grounds to be taught the way "de razon". They were to be provided for, and were promised much, which was never delivered. They then decided their situation was worsened and not bettered and wanted OUT and back to the old way. "No, WE OWN the land now" (or words to that effect) says the settlers, and the soldados backed them up. The friars begged them not to but all were killed. All involved were victoms, not just the friars, and not just the natives but everyone involved because the Gov was not able or was unwilling to provide as promised.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I have little to add because of my geographic location and ignorance of your local history, but I like the way this thread is developing.

I'm learning stuff, and when I finally do get to visit your neck of the woods, I figure I will be a step ahead of the run of the mill tourist.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM  
fustrated genius

Carpinteria, near Santa Barbara is where Chumash dug out their tomols so it was named "carpinter shop" or Carpinteria.

there were two shamans that were leader at one time, one had from San Luis Obispo to this arroyo near Goleta, the other had from the south side of the arroyo to Malibu. there were a village on each side of the arroyo. one north/ one south, they named it "dos pueblos"

Cristianitos, near San Clemente is where the first two natives were cristened
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM  

Nevada
And, I just added a comment about the California presidios - and I'm certain HiHood will enjoy my comments about Santa B?rbara [correct spelling!]
Old 04-02-2012, 05:38 PM  
fustrated genius

Excellent blog post, cabbie, I liked it.

quite a coincidence, my son called from the Huntington Libruary in LA. On display is a letter to the presidio comandante. We talked of a trip out to CA to visit the SB presidio with him, (my G-sons have never been.)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM  

Nevada
I am currently posting details about Father Serra's life. Stop by and enjoy @ Father Serra's Legacy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads