Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Let's go ladies and gents, I have my answer cards all lined up in a neat little row.

Who has the best American Fries in Montreal?
Ask a question about Canada-american-fries-paper-cup-26041005.jpg 

Ask a question about Canada-americanfries-ketchup-amfrys-bag.jpg 

Ask a question about Canada-crk17.jpg 

Old 08-27-2011, 01:45 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Does Canada have to pay an import fee for stealing all the water from Hurricane Irene?
By virtue of NAFTA, if the water we expect to see originates in the USA, we are exempt from import duties.

And let's face it, we need the water to power our hydro-electric facilities so that we can sell our electricity back to you guys

Old 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Who has the best American Fries in Montreal?
There is no such thing as American Fries in Montreal. They have always been French fries, or patate frites as they are known locally. As a matter of fact, the misnomer American Fries is nothing more than an unfortunate linguistic aberration as a result of anti-French sentiment stemming from France's political position leading up to the 2003 Iraqi conflict.

On a lighter note, patate means potato, frites means fries and frite means fried in French. So if you come to Montreal looking for anything related to potatos or fried foods, you are already one step ahead of the game

If you go to a hot dog and burger type of place to chow down, you just need to order patates (the s is silent), you don't need to specify that you want them frite. Everyone will know what you mean.

On the other hand, for fine dining you might want to bring along your Larousse Gastronomique.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
On the other hand, for fine dining you might want to bring along your Larousse Gastronomique.
I'll wait for George's "Guide to Fine Dining". After all, his father was a noted authority on pork rinds.
Ask a question about Canada-gw-cook.jpg 

Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I can think of at least 100 questions that should be asked right now!
Let's go already.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM  

Why is there such a rivalry between the French speaking and the non-French speaking Canadians? I know being from California, much of our country speaks funny to me, but I don't consider it a rivalry.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
As an English speaking Canadian who can speak a bit of French, and living in Montreal, I can honestly say that I think rivalry is a bit of an exaggeration. Everyone up here seems to get along pretty well these days (except of course political types).

I suspect media reports of a rivalry are sensationalistic. What we have are two distinct societies that are in the process of learning to live together in harmony.

There will always be vocal minorities with an axe to grind that get over-reported in the media, but within the overall fabric of Canada, they are only loose threads.

In my vision of Canada, Jean-Guy from St. Louis de Ha Ha can walk into a bar in Alberta and can order une biere without getting a dirty look, in the same way Patrick from Alberta can order a beer in Tadoussac.

I just think it's about mutual respect and understanding

If that exists, how can there be a rivalry?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
If that exists, how can there be a rivalry?
Odd thing was the Hudson's Bay lot was in league with French trappers from the start. Brits do yeoman work at sea explorations but the North American interior is often named for it's French explorers.

Instead of 100 years war the Brits could have had tasty foods long before curry. Instead of invading froggies sneaking thru the Chunnel it's illegal North Africans. Time to make up and interbreed before those English ears gets permanent DNA status in your genome.
Ask a question about Canada-prince_charles-ears.jpg 

Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Haha, yes, those are definitely Guy Lombardo ears!

Have you read Company of Adventurers by Peter C Newman? It's an excellent book about how the North American continent was cracked open by the French and British. It's set way before Canada and the USA existed as we know them today.

And no Blucher, I did not say Alfred E Newman
Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Have you read Company of Adventurers by Peter C Newman? It's an excellent book about how the North American continent was cracked open by the French and British. It's set way before Canada and the USA existed as we know them today.
Not yet but it just made my list. I'm trying to find histories of India at the moment but Newman's book sounds like what I was hoping to find at some point.

The Lewis & Clarke journals were interesting but far from gripping. I'd hoped to find more detail.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads