Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM  

Lake Echo, Nova Scotia
Brew on Site

Hey everyone,

Just taking a quick poll to see what provinces allow "Brew on Site" for homebrew beer and wine. I believe Nova Scotia (my province) is the only one that doesn't allow it.

For those of you that do live in provinces that allows "Brew on Site" what sort of rules do they have governing it?

Thanks
Andrew

Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 AM  

Nova Scotia
Andrew,

As you already know... NS does not allow either Brew-on-site or U-Vint (it's currently illegal)
It's legal in at least NB and PEI (that I know of)

A local homebrew shop owner has an online petition in-place to try and get this changed if you're interested: UVintNS

Old 12-11-2010, 02:09 AM  

London, Ontario
thats odd that its illegal in NS, i've seen loads here in ontario, dont remember ever seeing any in alberta on quebec while living there. whats the reason for not allowing it in NS?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I don't home brew, but there are a couple of "brew on site" places near my house that have been around for quite a while, so they must be legal in QC.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:39 PM  

Vancouver, BC
They are legal here in BC; both brew and vint. The ones around me (vancouver) seem to be doing quite well. There are U-vint shops every 10 blocks in some parts of town.

I prefer to brew & vint at home though, wish the brewing laws could be reworked to allow nano breweries like many places in the states, I'd brew all the time if I could sell one-off kegs/casks to local pubs
Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 AM  

Lake Echo, Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Andrew,

As you already know... NS does not allow either Brew-on-site or U-Vint (it's currently illegal)
It's legal in at least NB and PEI (that I know of)

A local homebrew shop owner has an online petition in-place to try and get this changed if you're interested: UVintNS
Thanks Beaker,

Is this the Noble Grape guys? I know they are setup in Fredericton to brew on site but nothing in Nova Scotia.

I must say that i'm all for brewing / fermenting at home, but it would be nice if there was a local place where i could ferment my lagers as I don't have a good spot in my current house where i can setup something for cooler fermentation.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM  

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtrsmith View Post
Thanks Beaker,

Is this the Noble Grape guys? I know they are setup in Fredericton to brew on site but nothing in Nova Scotia.

I must say that i'm all for brewing / fermenting at home, but it would be nice if there was a local place where i could ferment my lagers as I don't have a good spot in my current house where i can setup something for cooler fermentation.

Nope... it's the guy who owns the Wine Kitz store in Clayton Park.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 PM  

Chatham, Ontario
It's legal in Ontario. It's goverened by the Ontario Alcohol and Gaming Commission. Originally the u-brew had to provide you the materials and you brewed it yourself but the laws changed a while back and now allows the u-brew shop to brew the beer for you. Essentially you can just put an order in and pick it up two weeks later.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM  

Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
It's legal in Ontario. It's goverened by the Ontario Alcohol and Gaming Commission. Originally the u-brew had to provide you the materials and you brewed it yourself but the laws changed a while back and now allows the u-brew shop to brew the beer for you. Essentially you can just put an order in and pick it up two weeks later.
I find that interesting, as there is a notice (that looks official from the Government of Ontario) in my local homebrew shop... okay, I'll plug them, its Brewtime in Hamilton. This notice basically says that the customer has to be the ones to spread the yeast, and the ones to bottle or otherwise take possession of the order on premises.

Allegedly, there is a limit as to how much can be brewed per year, but the staff are mum about how much it is. They are neither confirming nor denying that it is the same as in the US (100 gallons per person, 200 per household, etc, etc, ad nauseum).
Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 AM  

Hamilton, Ontario
Ontario brew on-site

Howdy,

Ontario allows brew on site, my local home brew supply store (brewtime-hamilton) has a really good set up for all-grain or extract brewing (12 gal batches)

They have steam heated kettles and use picnic coolers with a bazzoka tube for all grain mashing.

The brewer "Matty" is very friendly and knowledgable, they also are the white labs yeats suppliers for the hamilton area and carry a good selection for grains.

although it is a little dumb that you need to be the ones to spread the yeast, considering how critical the timing can be and combine that with the need to grow liquid yeast cultures (if your going that way)

I can almost not believe some provinces still do not allow this amazing hobby in brew on site stores.

We should be lobbying to change this.

Cheers,
Matthew

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.