Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Canadian Military in Libya

What are your thoughts on our military being in Libya ( and other countries).
I don't think we should be there at all, and for sure not bombing their country.
Leave others alone, and worry about yourself is my thinking.
How would all the countries that go attak others, like it if other countries just came and attacked them.
i.e. say Libya attacked Canada, I for one would be very pissed off.
Worry about yourself, and stay the hell out of others business.

What say you?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Innocent civilians are being killed by an oppressive tyrant. We're helping to stop it. I'm okay with that.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Innocent civilians are being killed by an oppressive tyrant. We're helping to stop it. I'm okay with that.
Genocide didn't end with WW II. We're a global community and petty dictators are not looking like they have a long future.Gaddafy is a murderer and long overdue for retirement.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I am likely missing part of the whole picture, so if you can please fill in the blanks for me.
How is bombing the heck out of a country, any country, helping people.
A surgical strike, by a highly trained team of say 6 or 8 or whatever the amount of people it takes.
That can put a bullet right between a habitual ofenders eyes.....that I am for.
Heck if it takes a team of 25 special people, sneak in somehow, and shoot him. If need be also shoot his couple of top people if they would just take over after he is dead.
But to me its seems like bombing a country is not helping them.

I disagree with how Harper treats Canadians, but surely do not want some other country, or countries coming to bomb us for it.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
But to me its seems like bombing a country is not helping them.
I believe the US by law forbids assassinating rats by law. Qaddafy had 2000 tanks, choppers and several hundred fighters & bombers. He has evaded countless assassination attempts. If he was easy to kill it would have happened.

This began with the Tunisian street seller who having had enough burned himself to death. Mubarak and Qaddafy have ruled Egypt & Libya for 30 to 40 plus years. People were sick of them and wanted better.
In fact much of the Middle East is also trying to throw off their despots and the worst we could end up with isn't much worse than what we had.

After our less than stellar records in Iraq, Afghanistan and by being an ally of Israel the West could use IOU's from the Arab bloc.
Canadians are already the nicest people I know but with tons of area barely populated to boot I'd suggest being nice has merit.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I believe the US by law forbids assassinating rats by law. Qaddafy had 2000 tanks, choppers and several hundred fighters & bombers. He has evaded countless assassination attempts. If he was easy to kill it would have happened.

This began with the Tunisian street seller who having had enough burned himself to death. Mubarak and Qaddafy have ruled Egypt & Libya for 30 to 40 plus years. People were sick of them and wanted better.
In fact much of the Middle East is also trying to throw off their despots and the worst we could end up with isn't much worse than what we had.

After our less than stellar records in Iraq, Afghanistan and by being an ally of Israel the West could use IOU's from the Arab bloc.
Canadians are already the nicest people I know but with tons of area barely populated to boot I'd suggest being nice has merit.
I raelize we are in different countries, but i think much of our traits are shared, not just us being neighbours.
It just makes me sad that our people, jets, etc are going to any country to bomb it.
I am all for a military protecting its own country, but not attacking any country.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I am all for a military protecting its own country, but not attacking any country.
I share your unsettledness at even the idea of using force but there are some people out there just like us who want freedom. They may screw it up and elect some uneducated religious nutbag but that's their choice.
I've watched interviews and it's clear the Libyan people know Qaddafi is a nut.They asked for more rights and got bullets for an answer.

I know for a fact the Canadian military was training to back up the Brits over the Falklands. What I didn't know at the time was that the war was really about oil rights off the coast of the Falklands. Better to fight for freedom than Big Oil.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:07 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
...It just makes me sad that our people, jets, etc are going to any country to bomb it.
I am all for a military protecting its own country, but not attacking any country...
I agree to a certain extent.

But the way I see it is we're not bombing or attacking a country per se, we're just taking out military targets that have allowed a psychopathic tyrant to remain in power and abuse his fellow countrymen for way too long. Someone needs to stand up for the little guy.

I think North American forces go to great lengths, often at great risk to themselves, to avoid civilian casualties.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I think North American forces go to great lengths, often at great risk to themselves, to avoid civilian casualties.
I think the intention is to try to do that but they need more guidelines to help implement it. The 2 US flyers who crashed are okay and one was found and rescued by rebels. When our Osprey and choppers showed up they shot up the rebels by mistake. One wonders if they were even told flyers might be with the rebels we're there to protect.
The rebels were very nice about it including the guy who lost a leg but someone's boots should be on the ground coordinating with the rebel forces.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 AM  

Montr?al, Qu?bec
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I think the intention is to try to do that but they need more guidelines to help implement it. The 2 US flyers who crashed are okay and one was found and rescued by rebels. When our Osprey and choppers showed up they shot up the rebels by mistake. One wonders if they were even told flyers might be with the rebels we're there to protect.
The rebels were very nice about it including the guy who lost a leg but someone's boots should be on the ground coordinating with the rebel forces.
If they/we put boots on the ground it's become an invasion.

The Libyan need to be more organize.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!