Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM  

Small Town Canada, love it/hate it?

I live in a smallish town in Northern Ontario and it has it's ups/downs. I have lived in a few of Canada's major cities, and having grown up in a small town, I always wanted to come back.

I'm here, and it's such a great place to raise my kids. Sure I miss the culture, and entertainment of a big city.. but I can visit one in 2 hours.

What are your thoughts?

Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM  

i would move further from town.. but wifes work does not allow it.. heck my wife and i both would love to be three or four hours from anywhere...

Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think real culture usually starts in small towns but often moves to big cities out of necessity.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:46 AM  

Shuswap, BC
I am moving to a small town in BC, because I am tired of the crap here in the city.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
I live in a city out of necessity (work), Hopefully within the next few years the wife and I will be able to move back to the old homestead which just happens to be in the middle of nowhere. not really but we are aprox. 30 miles to the closest town. We have 480 acres of land that I can play on and not worry what the neighbors are going to say.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM  

Squamish, BC
I grew up in the suburbs of Vancouver, but spent a lot of time in the city. It wasn't until recently that I moved to a "small town"; Squamish. It's only about 15K right now.

It's a small town, but it's kind of an odd one because it's halfway between a large city and a large ski resort municipality. We're far enough away that we're not part of either, but close enough that I can go back downtown when I need or want to.

I find what I love about living in a small town like this is a two-sided coin: Everybody knows you. But, that's also what I missed about growing up in Coquitlam. At the time, it was a smaller community. You couldn't get away with much as a kid because everyone for three blocks around knew who your parents were. When I left Coquitlam (four years ago) I couldn't tell you who any of my neighbours were. Here, I know far more people on the street.

I had to spend last week back in downtown Vancouver, and I honestly missed being there. I worked right downtown for nearly eight years. But I can't see ever leaving the smaller town again.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.