Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Cape Coral / Fort Myers
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM  

Fort myers, florida
Fort Myers Dive spots?

I was wonderig if anyon could point to some decent dive areas down here. Somthing local would be great. Thanks for any help!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 PM  

Deland, Florida
I know that there are people that do some diving down in that area. Some of them really like it, but the consensus seems to be that the diving can be a little advanced.

The only spot that I am aware of that could be called easy is shore diving for shark teeth off of Venice Beach. The vis is usually no more than 5 or 6 feet, but depths are shallow.

The Florida section of Scubaboard.com is probably the single best source of information on diving in this incredibly diverse diving state.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 PM  

Fort Myers, FL
It's been forever since I've been in the water, but there's not much scenic diving to be had in the Ft. Myers area. If you're into spearfishing, there's no shortage of snapper and sheepshead around docks. There's also a lot of artificial reefs offshore you could play on. Again, probably better spearfishing than actual scenic diving. I found this list on the FWC website.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 AM  

Florida, FL
Here's the deal. You usually have to go far off shore to get to clear water in the gulf, a 2 hour boat ride plus the 30 minutes drive from Ft Myers to Ft Myers Beach. Or, drive 2 hours to West Palm Beach, take a 20 minute boat ride to great reefs/wrecks with the best visibility in Florida.

There are dive operations that run out of Ft Myers Beach that you could contact. Many of the Ft Myers dive shops plan trips to West Palm Beach because the vis is usually not that good in the gulf. Nothing worse than a two hour boat ride to find 10 ft vis.

I've dove Venice Beach many times, and have found many shark's teeth: megs, mako, great white, etc. The vis can be anywhere from 0 to 30 feet, but usually averages around 5-7 feet. Also, it gets cold in the winter, with water temps as low as 55 degrees. Let me know if you need specific dive locations.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 AM  

Englewood, Florida
Unless you are spear fishing, stone crabbing, treasure hunting or shark tooth hunting drive to the east coast or the Keys.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM  

Used to be able to dive in some lakes in cape coral, but they are all no trespassing now. Boat diving is about the only option, unless you do a beach dive in Venice.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Cape Coral / Fort Myers
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.