Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Central Coast
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 AM  

Nipomo, CA
Butterfly Groves

So I've been looking for a few out of the way butterfly groves, they should be overwintering here now. My wife and i drove past the crowds at the Pismo Butterfly Grove over the weekend.

I went to look at the grove at Monarch Dunes in Nipomo an there wasn't a single Monarch to be found in the 'grove' set aside there. It was real breezy there, so I'm not surprised if they destroyed the habitat during construction by removing too many trees and loosing the wind block.

Are there other Butterfly overwintering spots to check out on the central coast?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM  

Goleta, CA
There is a pretty nice grove on the Ellwood Mesa in Goleta. Depending on where you park its usually about a 1/2 mile walk to it, which works well to keep the crowds down.

Here is a link to it's exact location on Google Maps.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 AM  

Nipomo, CA
Cool, Thanks!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM  

Santa Cruz, California
Santa Cruz has a few great ones. Natural Bridges State Park, and Lighthouse Field. They're a bit to the norht, but SC is well worth it.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 PM  

Santa Cruz, CA
Lake Moran (between SC and Capitola) about 1/4 mile up the trail from the parking lot.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM  

SLO, CA
I live in Osos and so far the butterflies are nonexistent. Might be to cold and windy. This week is looking to be even colder and winds up to 60 mph.

BW

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Central Coast
Bookmark this Page!