Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Central Coast
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM  

17 mile drive is great and all but I didn't think it was worth the money. The road that runs along the coast from Asilomar Beach along the coast is just as good and free.

Also, there are a lot of great places to eat. With MIIS and DLI right there, there are a lot of resturants operated by foreigners who cook in their traditional styles, so you don't have to suffer through Americanized versions. Some of the better ones are Petra's in Pacific Grove, Maha's on Alvarado, China Chili in Seaside... The one thing about China Chili is that if you order off their regular menu you'll get the Americanized Chinese food. They have all their traditional dishes on a chalk board when you walk in the door. It's all written in Chinese, but if you ask your server to help you out, you won't be disappointed.

Also, if you are planning on staying the night, the hotels in Monterey proper get expensive on the weekends. If you go out to Seaside or Sand City you can save a fortune on hotel rooms.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM  

Seaside, CA
There are a ton of places to go wine tasting out this way too. If you stay on Cannery Row start at A Taste of Monterey. Beautiful views and wines from all over Monterey County

Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM  

La Selva Beach, Ca
a bit out of the way

just south of Monterey is one of the most beautiful places in the world, Point Lobos State Park.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 PM  

^ Pictures would be perfect....would you by chance have any you'd like to share with us?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 PM  
GOLENJEEPTJ

Ventura, California
Does anyone know if "Bubba Gumps" restaurant is still in Monterey?That place was a kick!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM  

Yeah Bubba Gump is still there on Cannery Row, the one that was at the end of the pier is gone though. Not sure if its the same one and just moved.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 PM  

I lived on the Monterey Peninsula for 40 years, Monterey, Carmel, and most of it in Pacific Grove..
It was a wonderful place.. still ok but as there is no Santa Claus there is no Cannery Row.. it is a cartoon of its former self. There are a few of the historic locations left but hard to find. A true tourist destination.. other than a couple bars and a couple restaurants.. not much to offer, particularly for history buffs
Best restaurant is still the Sardine Facotry.. expensive and worth it.
I am not a fan of the Aquarium so will refrain from comment.

Pacific Grove has changed but still more like what the area used to be. I still have interests there.

Carmel... changed but still ok ..

Pebble Beach is worth the drive fee...

Monterey... get and historic map and avoid the glitz

Hula's is not on my list ( my family was in the restaurant biz in Monterey/Carmel for 40 plus years) Liked by many..not me.

Must sees are
A drive out Carmel Valley ..
Pt Lobos
Hiway 1 to Big Sur and go down Sycamore Canyon to Pfeiffer Beach.
Nepenthe...
17 Mile Drive
Walk around Carmel
Cannery Row see above
Drive around Pacific Grove from Cannery Row to Asilomar State Beach...free
State Theatre down town Monterey to see the Pipe Organ on Alvarado Street
Pacific Grove for dinner at Max's Grille for dinner and breakfast at Toasties on Lighthouse
Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM  

BTW Monterey locals do not call Highway One "PCH" ....they call it Hiway 1
Old 01-23-2011, 06:19 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
BTW Monterey locals do not call Highway One "PCH" ....they call it Hiway 1
I didn't know that!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM  

Thousand Oaks, CA
Just just dont stay at the Sea Otter motel. Nasty.....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Central Coast
Bookmark this Page!