Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina > Charleston
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 AM  

Mount Pleasant, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakman View Post
There are a lot of great places depending on your budget. Downtown, I really like The Peninsula Grille ($100+ for two). A little less fancy but as good or better is SNOB. Fleet Landing is good and right on the water, near the cruise ships. It's more casual then the other two.

Benito's - (Mt P. - in Town Center, they may be closed or moved due to lease issues with shopping center)
The Mustard Seed (Mt. P - this is where we usually take friends who come to visit)
[/URL]
Benito's did close for a while but I'm pretty sure they're open now. Great Italian at good prices, service can be a little slow at times.

The Mustard Seed I believe has two, possibly three locations, in Mt. P on Bowman Road, James Island, and maybe downtown? It's good, if a little eclectic.

There is a mexican restaurant over on JI next door to the Terrace (a really cool indie theater, btw) that has fantastic food and tasty margaritas too. I can't remember the name though.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:14 PM  
U.S. Air Force

Charleston, SC
You have to go to the the rooftop on East Bay St and get the crab cake quesadilla, it is amazing.

Also The Wife and I went to Vickery's on Shem Creek last night. We both got burgers and they we awesome. I got the Ranch Burger, and it just melted in my mouth...Perfection!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM  

Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratm View Post
Andolini's pizza is awesome. King street brewery is really good

Andolini's is awesome - if you go to the best ones.
My experiences and impressions:
N. Charleston on Rivers - Great food and service, clean and well maintained.
James Island - Great food and service. Seats are wore out.
West Ashley - Great food and service. A little dirty.
Wentworth Downtown - The original. Sadly, I haven't been yet. When I am hungry downtown, I almost always head to Kickin' Chicken.
Mt P (where I live) - Slow service (waited over an hour on two occasions and they were not that busy; waitresses forgot about order) and the pizza is often under done. Seats are OK, some are worn. Not as clean as Rivers or JI, seems cleaner than WA. We quit going there last year and get pizza from Matt's Pizza Delivery (was NYPD New York Pizza Delivery) or drive over to James Island or West Ashley.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:34 AM  

charleston/mt p, sc
boulevard diner, mustard seed, sette 7 among others are owned by Sal Parco and are great.

Santi's is a great little restaurant for casual mexican food
Mellow Mushroom for a great casual pizza joint

i agree "The Wreck" is some of the best seafood around charleston, and Shem Creek bar & grill is still my "old faithful". prices have gone up but food is still great. Boathouse is an excellent choice too. Personally not a fan of Hyman's, i beleive the food is average and is more of a tourist trap than anything. you wont find many locals in there for that reason.

theres a great deli on Coleman blvd as well named Mozzo. Liberty (also in mt. pleasant) is pretty good.

other places primarily downtown: Hall's chophouse, Basil(thai), McCrady's ($$), Wild Olive (Johns Isl), Blossom/High Cotton($$),

Theres some fantastic sushi in the area too!

ive lived in charleston for most of my life and still find new restaurants i love all the time!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 PM  

Charleston, South Carolina
Shoney's on the water... thats funny. We try to go out to eat somewhere everyweekend. I'll try some of your suggestions. Never been to Shems Creek. Maybe we'll go there this weekend. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM  

Charleston, South Carolina
I've never had pizza from NYPD... are they any good?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 PM  

Columbia, SC
I gotta visit charleston soon to pig out. I havent been in awhile.

lol@ shoneys on the water. I love california dreaming in Columbia.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 AM  

Greenville, SC
Hands down, the best restaurant in Charleston is The Fat Hen on John's Island. Absolutely amazing casual French food with a Southern twist. Their brunch o Sundays is awesome too.

If you want Italian, check out The Wild Olive (also on John's Island), or Al Di La. Both have amazing food. You also can't go wrong with SNOB (try to sit at the chefs table) or Cypress.

Skip Hymans. Terrible fried seafood that isn't even fresh. Most overrated restaurant in Charleston . They close off dining rooms to make it look like they are busy (my wife used to work there). The owner is scum and just wants to make a buck.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:00 AM  

Charleston, S.C
Run up to Summerville
Centrel ave in the flowertown block
Matts Hamburgers right by the RR tracks
Order the "Bomb" Eat it all and you can write your name
on the wall .
Old 12-02-2010, 06:35 AM  

Charleston, SC
So many good places I can't list them all. My favorites, in no particular order:

Mellow Mushroom
Sesame Burgers and Beer
Gene's Hofbrau
Moe's Downtown (Heard good things about the crosstown on Rutledge, but it's closed temporarily for repairs)
Poe's
Chai's (Very good tappas, moderately priced)
Basil
Liberty Taproom (good happy hour)
Kaminsky's (dessert)

Again, there are so many good ones. I think you could eat out every night of the year at a different place and be very happy.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina > Charleston
Bookmark this Page!