Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM  

Charlotte, NC
Car camping close to BRP (blue ridge parkway)

i'm planning my spring camping excursions and interested in good feedback in car camping that is rather remote and possibly dog (lab) friendly...

Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 AM  
Awesome Member

Charlotte, NC
I don't have experience so this is mostly a bump..

I have seen a few spots on the parkway where you can car camp. BUT none of them looked very private. I have yet to see a car camping spot that is secluded from the other campers. Most allow dogs on a 6 foot leash.

South Mountain has a nice spot you might want to check out. I drove through but didn't camp. NC DPR
Johnny Malloy, author of The Best in Tent Camping - The Carolinas, recommends site #9 which backs against a stream and overlooks a steep hillside. Each of the 11 sites have a picnic table and lamp post. Apparently the park fills up early so reserve well in advance if you are interested.

Hopefully other will post with their experiences as I am interested too.

references: http://www.nps.gov/blri/
The Best in Tent Camping

Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 AM  
Awesome Member

Charlotte, NC
oh yeah, might want to check this out: Groovy Adventures: Blue Ridge Parkway Trails
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM  

Matthews, NC
Most of the logging roads that criss cross the Pisgah Nat'l Forest below Grandfather Mtn and on either side of Linville Gorge have car camping spots. Some of the logging roads are dead end or have eroded so much, they are effectively just jeep trails at this point. Those will give you the best privacy and spots to flaunt the dog leash laws. There are plenty of spots along streams for your pup, too. Pickup up an NC Gazetteer map and go scouting one weekend.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 AM  
Awesome Member

Charlotte, NC
paulihama, where are these logging roads? I'd like to check this out but fear driving 2 hrs and then having to turn around!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM  

Matthews, NC
Wow, a lot of these are just plugged into my GPS. I've spent several years just driving through the woods and bookmarking trailheads and camp sites. I've also noticed that the rangers may occasionally close a gate to a road that has been open for a few years, so no guarantees. Some of these roads don't have names, or I don't know them. Let me give you some GPS coordinates. You should be able plug these in to your GPS, Google Maps or Google Earth and go from there. Here are some starting points or destinations in the same general area. Pack a cooler and spend a day checking them out. If you've never seen Wilson Gorge along Brown Mtn Beech Rd, I recommend checking that out while you're in the area.

Pineola Rd - Turn off of Hwy 90 near Mortimer, NC at 35? 59.918'N, 81? 46.519'W. This area goes between Lost Cove Creek and Lost Cove Cliffs. Explore this road and all the side trails between Hwy 90 and Old Jonas Ridge Rd. Pineola is moderately travelled. I day hike the trailheads along this area with my dogs and there are a few campsites a little off the road.

Roseboro Rd? - This leaves Hwy 90 1/4 mile up the road from Pineola at 36? 0.126'N, 81? 46.484'W and intersect the BRP at 36? 3.122'N, 81? 51.180'W. Roseboro is moderately travelled. I day hike the trailheads along this area with my dogs and there are a few campsites a little off the road.

Edgemont Rd - Go straight from any of the two points above and go along Edgemont Rd. This is a long road that goes all the way up to the intersection of 221 and BRP near Grandfather Mtn. There are campsites and side trails all along this road, the one below being my favorite. Bring your fishing rod and do some trout fishing at the stocked pond in Gragg, near the intersection with Globe Rd.

National Forest Rd - Near Gragg, NC. This leaves Edgemont Rd at 36? 4.725'N, 81? 47.053'W. This is effectively a dead end road with campsites all along. Sometimes they're hard to see, so keep an eye out. This road "ends" at a 4 way intersection at 36? 3.855'N, 81? 48.548'W. The roads to the left and right are usually gated, but you can go straight and follow a jeep trail all the way down to Roseboro Rd. There are VERY REMOTE campsites and side roads along this trail. I do not recommend taking on this road solo. It is always is various stages of extreme erosion and it's a long hike to anywhere if your 4WD breaks down. Cell phones do not work here.

Old NC 105 - Runs along the West Ridge of Linville Gorge. Starts on concrete at 35? 46.286'N, 81? 54.157'W north of Lake James. There are some side roads and camping areas along here, but they are more travelled.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 AM  

Matthews, NC
This is just a quick list. Have to get back to work. Like I mentioned, pick up a Gazetteer and go exploring. Have fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM  
Awesome Member

Charlotte, NC
Awesome, thank you!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Bookmark this Page!