Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM  

Chicago, IL
Best fries (fast food, hot dog stands, etc.)?

Hot dogs are pretty much the same everywhere (other than Hot Doug's, of course, and a few other standouts), but fries vary widely. Some places serve soggy, flavorless mush and call it fries. So, where's the best?

I vote for
A) Parisi's, on W. 63rd St. west of Midway, between Narragansett and Austin. Been there forever, hasn't changed a bit, and their fries are righteous, as is all their food. Just don't expect any place to sit: there are no seats, just as it should be.

or B) Doug's Dogs, on 159th St. in Oak Forest (half way between Oak Park Ave. and Central Ave). Cheryl is a really nice lady who remembers her customers and is generous with samples of her latest creations. Every order of fries is cooked to order--no pile under the lights--and they come to you painfully hot.
I'm a fry addict. Need more suggestions, especially for the far western area (e.g., Batavia, Lisle, etc.).
Thanks.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
Can you describe the fries? Are they skin-on? Freshly cut potatoes? Shoestring or otherwise? Double fried (if you know)? Greasy or dry? Those places are vaguely in my neighborhood, so it'd be cool to know what your tastes are.

My favorites are the fries at Hot Doug's. Hand-cut potatoes, double fried (I believe), skin on, thin cut, a little mix of crispness and some grease, but retaining the flavor of potato. On Fridays and Saturdays, you have the option of getting them fried in duck fat.

Also, the fries at either of the Top Notch burger locations on 95th Street are good, too. Similar to the above, except fried in beef tallow, if I remember correctly.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM  
Sex Robot

Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
My favorites are the fries at Hot Doug's. Hand-cut potatoes, double fried (I believe), skin on, thin cut, a little mix of crispness and some grease, but retaining the flavor of potato. On Fridays and Saturdays, you have the option of getting them fried in duck fat.
I honestly prefer Doug's standard fries to the duck fat fries. As far as I know, I'm the only person that feels this way. The duck fat fries are delicious, don't get me wrong, but I never found them as mind-blowing as people generally make them out to be. Anyone else?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by addsubtract View Post
I honestly prefer Doug's standard fries to the duck fat fries. As far as I know, I'm the only person that feels this way. The duck fat fries are delicious, don't get me wrong, but I never found them as mind-blowing as people generally make them out to be. Anyone else?
I was disappointed in them too. Not that I didn't like them, but I really didn't think they were that much different than the regular fries, and certainly not worth the $2 upcharge (or whatever it is). I prefer my fries tallow-fried myself.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM  

Chicago, IL
The fries at both Parisi's and Doug's Dogs are larger than average (if average means McD's or BK), as in thicker, are fried well (never floppy or soft) and are very crisp on the outside and fluffy and light inside. Not greasy, except that they're fries so there's going to be some grease. Don't know what either place fries them in, or whether they're double fried. Neither are skin-on. Both seem to me to fresh cut, not bought. Importantly, they're deadly hot when you get them: fried to order and dangerous.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM  

Chicago, IL
For a non-couture hot dog and fries I suggest Parky's just north of Madison St on Harlem Ave in Forest Park. You'll get your dog (David Berg brand) and best hand-cut, greasy fries in the same bag. Also the building is a crazy looking A-frame.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM  

Chicago
I am going to recommend the more fancy selection and go with David Burke's Primehouse Truffle Fries. They are naughty good. The steaks are amazing too.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 PM  

Genoa, Illinois
I know this is not very PC but the best fries I EVER ate was when McDonald's used to fry their fries in lard. I believe that ended some time in the early '90's.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM  

Chicago, IL
The Athenian Room on Halsted and Webster. Mmmmmm....
Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
I got two favorites in the city, first is Wing Stops fries. They are fresh cut fries with a sprinkle of seasoned salt brown sugar and prolly a bit of crack in it! Just kidding on the crack part but they are addicting.

My other is Gene and Judes... I think its the combo of their dog/fries that I love more than anything but those are great too.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Bookmark this Page!