Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 05:54 AM  

Chicago, Indiana
Ok, as someone who's lived in or near the city for almost 50 years, I've gotta chime in here to the people whining about not being able to legally carry a gun.
First, if the gun laws, as stupid as they are, are the reason you "wouldn't want to live here, then STAY AWAY! You've got major issues that we just don't need to deal with.
Please note the emphasis I placed on the word "legally" in my first sentence. I have a few friends/acquaintances that are CPD. To a man/woman, they've ALL told me the same thing. ONLY if you get caught using a gun will you really get into any trouble for having it. If you get caught with it during, say, being pulled over for a traffic violation, it'll be taken away. Period. You more than likely WON'T face any criminal charges, unless of course, you're an a$$ to the cop.
I've worked in the worst neighborhoods in the city. My jobs have taken me into every single set of projects the city had, and I've NEVER had to even pull my piece.
To the OP, and his comment about corrupt pols...show me a city/town/village ANYWHERE that doesn't have that problem.
This is a great city, unlike any other in the world. Those are two, very minor, complaints.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 PM  

Chicago, IL
I'm a transplant from Miami, FL, and the only major con is the parking meters. They have a dedicated fleet of ticket writers that will happily give you multiple expensive tickets at the drop of a dime. I bought a bike and all is well.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 AM  

bourbonnais, illinois
Cons:

Homeless
Dirty if you aren't in the Loop
CTA SUCKS!!!
Not enough breweries...
Old 11-20-2010, 06:39 AM  

Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstrysik View Post
Cons:
. . . .
Not enough breweries...
Goose Island, Metropolitan, Half Acre, Argus, Two Brothers, Flossmoor Station, Piece, Revolution, and Three Floyds in the NWI suburbs.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 AM  

You can get ANYWHERE on the CTA, the people are friendly and helpful and Lake Michigan is a great place to picnic or ride a bike.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:47 AM  

I grew up there so I'm biased but the Cubs and Wrigley Field make it a cool place.

For a con, the Crook County taxes are NUTS!
Old 11-22-2010, 03:13 PM  

I agree with most of these, but politicians are corrupt everywhere, not just in Chicago or especially in Chicago.

By the way, Chicago isn't that windy. Sure by the lake it's windy, but that's true by any large body of water. "The windy city" comes from Chicago politician's being historically "long-winded" or "full of hot air."
Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
I would add as a con that the Chicago Public School system is a bit of a joke. Granted, you have a number of good teachers, and some schools have some great resources, but the system as a whole is as corrupt and broken as the politicians. The city is great as a single guy, but if you're looking at having kids, and you don't want to go private schooling, this is not the place to be.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM  

St. Louis, MO, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster48 View Post
Ok, as someone who's lived in or near the city for almost 50 years, I've gotta chime in here to the people whining about not being able to legally carry a gun.
First, if the gun laws, as stupid as they are, are the reason you "wouldn't want to live here, then STAY AWAY! You've got major issues that we just don't need to deal with.
Please note the emphasis I placed on the word "legally" in my first sentence. I have a few friends/acquaintances that are CPD. To a man/woman, they've ALL told me the same thing. ONLY if you get caught using a gun will you really get into any trouble for having it. If you get caught with it during, say, being pulled over for a traffic violation, it'll be taken away. Period. You more than likely WON'T face any criminal charges, unless of course, you're an a$$ to the cop.
I've worked in the worst neighborhoods in the city. My jobs have taken me into every single set of projects the city had, and I've NEVER had to even pull my piece.
To the OP, and his comment about corrupt pols...show me a city/town/village ANYWHERE that doesn't have that problem.
This is a great city, unlike any other in the world. Those are two, very minor, complaints.
To Brewmaster:
Nothing personal, but I find it comical that you would appear to be offended by anyone who might claim that the gun laws in Chicago are too restrictive when your solution is to simply ignore the law, carry a gun illeagaly, and just trust that you "more than likely WON'T face any criminal charges...". No offense, but this is probably the stupidest response I've ever heard of. I think maybe your comment is in the wrong place...this thread seems to be for the law abiding citizens' discussion. I think you're looking for the "Thugs and Criminals" thread next door.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM  

St. Louis, MO, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2knee View Post
I agree with most of these, but politicians are corrupt everywhere, not just in Chicago or especially in Chicago.

By the way, Chicago isn't that windy. Sure by the lake it's windy, but that's true by any large body of water. "The windy city" comes from Chicago politician's being historically "long-winded" or "full of hot air."

Yeah, but come on. Suggesting that the level of apparet corruption in Chicago is on par with most other big cities is like suggesting that the level of snow in Alaska is the same as every other city because cities in Florida have snow cone stands. It's a whole different league when you're talking political corruption in Chicago.

Of course it is on par with a lot of cities in Mexico...just saying.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.