Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 PM  

Ever notice how the red light tickets come in the mail? They say "Chicago Dept. of Revenue". I highly doubt they put them up for saftey. Money money money.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 PM  
V

East Dundee, Illinois
They are such a crock, all about money

Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 AM  

Chicago, IL
Many suburbs are taking them down since the promised revenue is not coming.

Suburbs' red-light revenues on the blink - chicagotribune.com
Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM  

the cameras are a total scam - and I believe actually can contribute to unsafe driving conditions. I got a ticket last winter during a snow storm as I attempted to brake and fishtailed out into the intersection. I knew it was a camera intersection other wise i would have (barely) run the light. I was going well below the speed limit, it was just that icy. with the short yellow light i had to hit the brakes and almost got in a wreck. total joke
Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM  

Chicago, IL
well it appears that the "funds" being created from these Red Light cameras is actually starting to decrease. More and more drivers are actually following the rules now so cities aren't making as much money off of them. I personally hate them, especially since I think they are faulty at times, and that is just frustrating.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM  

I overheard a DA talking to another DA at the courthouse about the red light tickets, and they were saying that if you show up to the court date at all, they are pretty much settled. They dont really get to far in court.

Of course, taking time out of your schedule to show up to court for red light tickets is punishment enough if you ask me.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM  

Chicago, Illinois
I stop at red lights and have never had a problem with the cameras...go figure. And as far as turning right on red; the law requires a complete stop first. As a warning, the light will actually turn yellow before it turns red so you have plenty of time to stop. As Jim Carey said in Liar Liar "stop breaking the law, a$$hole."
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 AM  

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
the cameras are a total scam - and I believe actually can contribute to unsafe driving conditions. I got a ticket last winter during a snow storm as I attempted to brake and fishtailed out into the intersection. I knew it was a camera intersection other wise i would have (barely) run the light. I was going well below the speed limit, it was just that icy. with the short yellow light i had to hit the brakes and almost got in a wreck. total joke
Then you explain the extinuating circumstances to the officer and/or judge.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
At least, the violation doesn't accrue points on your driver's license.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM  
South Sider

Chicago, Illinois
Permits?

There are no permits to wander the intersections. The City recognizes 3 official tag days on which officially recognized charities are authorized to solicit donations on the public way.

Are these the people you are talking about?

Spring = Chicago Childrens Benefit League
Fall = Chicago Federation of Aged and Adult Charities
There is one more which date is controlled by the City Council

Any other solicitation on City Streets is prohibited.

Street vendors are not allowed. They are subject to ticketing and confiscation of their goods. Fines can run as high as $250.

tom o.

PS. The red light cameras may not be popular but they sure do help with the budget. You drivers who make right turns on red without stopping help the rest of us out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
OK, Red Light Cameras really strike a nerve with me. I can't stand them. Their primary target is people not coming to a complete 1 second stop on a red light. How can a city claim to be doing this in the name of public safety when at the same time they issue permits for people to wander around busy intersections at rush hour to collect money?

I know the answer...I'm just saying.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.