Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM  
South Sider

Chicago, Illinois
Weekend rides are great if you are not in a hurry. Take your time, watch the people, enjoy the open sky and beautiful views of the Lake.

If you are trying to get a good workout on the weekend then you need to keep in mind that this is a multi-purpose trail.

Walkers, inline-skater, dog owners, and sunbathers all use the bike lanes.

The way to avoid contact with the others is to get on the trail by 7:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. You can get in a good 20 mile ride with minimal interference that way.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM  
South Sider

Chicago, Illinois
SAFETY NOTE: There are a couple of places where the concrete has a iron seem running down part of the pavement. This is mainly South of 39th Street. These seems get very slick and if you cross them while changing lanes your tires may slip and you could take a nasty fall.

The trails are generally safe but watch the road.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM  

Chicago, IL
My only suggestion is if you bring your own bike and want to park it anywhere on the trail make sure you have a good U-lock. Bike theft is huge in Chicago. they'll take your seat, your lights, wheels, and anything else that isn't locked down.

After I had my first bike stolen I "Fort Knox" mine to the rack now.

The idea is to not be the easiest bike to steal. Thieves are lazy by nature, the harder it is to steal your bike the less likely they'll try.

Oh and if you head to the streets watch for opening car doors!
Who has ridden the Lake Front Trail?-accident.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Bookmark this Page!