Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 PM  

Dekalb, IL
Would you rather...

the tolls stay and annoy the piss out of you or remove it and raise the revenue more directly?

If I lived in a parallel universe I would have also thrown out the option of slashing spending elsewhere and getting rid of the iPass; but seeing that IL is having major budget issues, that will never happen.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM  

Naperville, Illinois
Id say raise the revenue more directly. Now that it is so automated with the I-pass, they don't employ way too many people, and this would save costs without having the infrastructure to keep up. I figure either way the sate will take my $, weather it be through my I-pass or taxes, but in the end it will work out about even.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM  

Wheeling, IL
Can I vote for keeping the tolls but applying the collected revenues to all state-controlled/owned roads?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM  

Chicago, IL
Now that we have i-pass, the toll booths do not bother us much. The State will never raise money to purchase the tollway from the current bondholders. As for revenue, that is what the gas tax is for. Gas tax goes into a trust fund to maintain roads, and you pay more tax the more you use the roads.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:40 PM  

Central, IL
I don't really mind the tolls so much now that they have IPass. I like the idea that tolls are double for non IPass users to help pay for the person at the booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepR View Post
Gas tax goes into a trust fund to maintain roads, and you pay more tax the more you use the roads.
Unless you drive a hybrid or even an electric car that uses no gas at all. As average MPG goes up, revenue from gas tax goes down.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.