Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
sayler park

Here are my comments about Sayler Park.
I have lived in one apartment or another here since 2000, as a compromise between my mother who lives in Bridgetown and my job in Lawrenceburg.
1. There are marks left from the 1974 tornado, but since it was 40 years ago they are hard to find now, unless you know what to look for. All the trees have grown back. What I have noticed are, on many streets, there is a series of houses and then an empty lot, then another set of houses, then another empty lot. The lots are well-maintained. Obviously there had been a house there that had been torn down and the foundation filled in. Also, there are a few odd-looking houses where the first and second floors don't match. I think those houses probably had the second floor blown off and the owner rebuilt them with cheaper materials. There is a large condo complex called the Villages of Arden that has large red brick pillars at the entrance. I understand there was a large mansion there that was destroyed. The property was used to build the condos/townhouses, but all that remains of the original property are the brick pillars.
2. Most people in Sayler Park, Mack and Bridgetown rebuilt their houses after the 1974 tornado. I don't know if they had better insurance to do so; if rebuilding was a cheaper option then; or if they simply had no place else to go. In other words, they stayed. I remember after the 1999 Blue Ash tornado that so many residents were interviewed saying they were leaving for elsewhere after that storm. I don't know if they had less insurance than people did 25 years earlier, or if rebuilding had gotten too expensive, or they had other options to move elsewhere.
3. More about the weather. The fact that a tornado struck here at all is unusual. Sayler Park is bounded on one side by the Ohio River and the hills of Kentucky across from it. The other three sides of Sayler Park are also large steep hills. The area is very protected from the weather and thunderstorms and windstorms are not as harsh here as they are where I grew up in Bridgetown. Also, I never realized that the slight difference in elevation between Sayler Park (I don't have any idea what it actually is) means that we get much less snow than Bridgetown does.
4. The one exception was when Hurricane Ike came through in 2008. Because of the huge amount of trees that fell, and because the neighborhood is cut off from the rest of the city of Cincinnati, the electricity was off here for four days, the last of the city's neighborhoods to get its power restored.
Enough about the climate. I will tell more in a different post.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
walking and riding

Sayler Park is a wonderful place to walk or ride your bike, perhaps the best in Hamilton County. Everything is flat (or almost flat) and straight. The trees really help with keeping the streets cooler during the summer. The only areas you really have to watch for are:
1. For pedestrians--the intersection of Monitor Avenue and Gracely Drive, since it is in the center of town and the businesses are located at it--there is a lot of car traffic to watch for.
2. For bicyclists--the car traffic gets heavier on Gracely east of Monitor, and there are some small inclines.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
businesses

These are the businesses that I know of in Sayler Park:
1. Home City Ice is the biggest, since it is a national company
2. United Dairy Farmers
3. US Post Office, with rotten hours, Monday through Friday 8:30-5 p.m.
4. McDonald's
5. Parnell's Hardware
6. Bizy Bee Bakery (yes, that is the spelling)
7. Fernbank Golf Course
8. The schools are St. Aloysius and Sayler Park Elementary
9. The churches are St. Aloysius on the Ohio, Eden Chapel United Methodist and Church of Christ at Delhi
10. A barbershop
11. Parkland Theatre
12. Two dry cleaners
13. Sayler Park Community Center and Pool, run by the city of Cincinnati
14. Cabana on the River, an outdoor restaurant open from April through October.

Sayler Park Tavern and the pizza place have closed, and the deli that was supposed to open in the old Oppelt's Supermarket never materialized.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.