Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 PM  

Miami, Florida
Tips on Cincinnati

I will be heading to Cincinnati later this month for two weeks with work. Any tips on areas I should visit? Interests are the outdoors, aviation and photography.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM  

Cincinnati, OH
Not much into photography or outdoors (other than fishing).

But as regards aviation, Cincinati does not have anything special to show off. Lunken airport, 10 miles east of downtown, is the first commercial airport in the area but has little to show other than an Aeronca C2 hanging in the lobby of the
original control tower. There is the Tri-State Warbird Museum (Welcome to the Tri-State Warbird Museum Web Site!) 20 miles east of Cincinnati with some planes restored or that are being restored and some displays depicting WWII aviation. But the Dayton area, 50 miles north of Cincinnati has a lot to show. I think the web site History of Aviation | Wright Brothers History | Invention | Aviation Heritage | National Heritage Area covers most of what is available there. Two museums of note - the Wright B Flyer museum and the Nation museum of the United States Airforce. I particularly enjoy the later (been there multiple times) with its large display of all kinds of aviation equipment (over 400 items).

Old 10-08-2010, 12:54 PM  

Dayton, Ohio
Grab your camera and head to Newport (right across the river in Kentucky) some great opportunities for cityscape pictures. The Newport aquarium is great for pictures too, lots of interesting things to see in there.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 PM  

Louisville, KY
I agree! The riverfront in Newport (as well as whatever the area is along the tributaries) is an excellent local for photography. Also, in the spring there's a large botanical garden in Cincy that releases something like a hundred thousand monarch butterflies at once... I happened to be there by chance on day and got to see it... I wish I'd had my camera.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 PM  

Hamilton, Ohio
Newport on the levy is the best thing you can do around Cincy.Maybe the Zoo
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 PM  

Miami, Florida
Thanks for the replies. Heading out on Sunday and will try and check out the places mentioned.

I was looking at the forecast and short and flip flops are out of the question for a South Floridian in Cincy!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 AM  

sharana, afghanistan
depending how far north of cincy you want to go, there is a few smaller airports up 71. one in warren county other is waynesville both grass fields with some older planes using them. other is up in dayton its the wright patt air force museum. but hour from cincy. open to public. it is home of wright brothers
Old 11-02-2010, 01:22 PM  

Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr View Post
wright patt air force museum. but hour from cincy. open to public. it is home of wright brothers
Been to that air museum a few times, it is worth visiting if you are in the area.

For photography and some interesting culture (besides cityscapes) try the University of Cincinnati campus (including medical campus), they have interesting architecture (it's a school pride). Also check out the "dirt mall", which is north of the city on 75. Turtle Creek flea market and Traders World. Plenty of small objects/interesting people/macro opportunities.

The industrial districts are also worth rolling through just because of all the rust and brick that is around. I'd tell you some buildings to sneak into that aren't in use but I haven't been there since 2008 when I was still in school
Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 PM  

Las Vegas, NV
Forgot to mention the art museum, which is up on a hill (Mt Adams area), Eden Park is in that same area (which has the conservatory with the butterflies).

Mt Adams itself is an interesting place to visit/photograph (east of downtown). There is a very old church/monastery type building with a bell tower and the whole works. Also a great overlook area for the ENTIRE river (you can do a panoramic shot of KY and Cincinnati + surrounding area).

If you go to Mt Adams and happen to be there at night you'll find great nightlife spots, plenty of people watching. The Blind Lemon is an cool indoor/outdoor pub type place that has a nice courtyard with live music and is good for photographs as well.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM  

Cincinnati, KY
So, just curious - what did you take pictures of? I was going to suggest some places in Covington depending on what you like to take photos of - there are several older areas that you can get some decent pics. As well as the bar scene if you like indoor shots.

I will have to check out the blind lemon.... sounds like a great place to go...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.