Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM  

rock climbing in garden of the gods

when i was a kid, that is where i learned to rock climb. is it still legal? do you need permits?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:46 PM  

Manitou Springs/Colorado springs, Colorado
anita,
yes you need a permit and must have it on you at all times while climbing. It is a free permit and you can obtain it at the Garden of the Gods (GoG) visitor's center on 30th Street, across from the main entrance to the park.
There is no free-climbing (rope-free) or scuttling (climbing of lower rock formations) allowed and there can be severe penalties for climbing w/o a permit. And, as coincidence would have it, I have two friends that are suffering from broken ankles (one each, that is) from falling while scuttling....
I'll post some pics of the GoG, it should be a nice trip down memory lane for ya!
Gr8Gazoo

Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM  

Colorado Springs, CO
The nice thing about the GoG permits is that 1)It's free, 2)It's good for the entire calendar year, and 3)It's also good for nearby Red Rock Canyon Park, which also has good rock climbing but much less crowded than GoG.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM  

Remember going up is easier than coming down! That's where most get in trouble.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 PM  

colorado springs, colorado
I would strongly suggest climbing at Red Rocks. Decent Rock Quality, much quieter, and you don't feel like you're inside a cage at a zoo being watched by all the spectators. You can pick up the guidebook at Mountain Chalet, downtown.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:59 AM  

Indianapolis, IN
Gods

The Garden was my first peek at Colorado for a 10 day outback trip. Started with this place and was spectacular
Old 12-27-2010, 06:53 AM  

Colorado Springs, co
x2 for Red Rocks, although GoG is still a great place that is close.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Bookmark this Page!