Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina > Columbia
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 AM  
VLT

Columbia, SC
Living in Columbia SC - things to do

Living in Columbia SC means you are living in the state's capital, only 2-3 house from the beach, some of the best golf courses (Masters is only 1 hr away in GA), one of the highest ranking churches, Elevation is just 1.5 hrs away in Charlotte, NC, many many parks/camping, bike riding trails, lakes, hiking not far..........close to a lot of activities!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 PM  

Rock Hill, SC
And the rivers are great for kayaks!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 AM  
VLT

Columbia, SC
Very true!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM  

Greenville, SC
Things to do in Columbia

There is the Riverbanks zoo which is fun to take your kids to.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM  

Columbia, SC
I love enjoying the new riverwalk areas and just chilling out by the river or fishing. Riverbanks zoo is great. Football season and tailgating. The State Fair just passed which is a mega event in SC.

I also enjoy going to lake Murray with the beach and picnic areas. We arent loaded with attractions but I really like life in Columbia. The Free Times Newspaper is everywhere and a great place to find local events.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM  

Irmo, South Carolina, USA
The SC State museum is a great place to spend the day...well worth the price of admission and fun for kids and adults alike!

I would also echo abuilder and recommend Riverbanks Zoo. It is a really nice zoo and worthy of praise.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM  

Aurora, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
I love enjoying the new riverwalk areas and just chilling out by the river or fishing. Riverbanks zoo is great. Football season and tailgating. The State Fair just passed which is a mega event in SC.

I also enjoy going to lake Murray with the beach and picnic areas. We arent loaded with attractions but I really like life in Columbia. The Free Times Newspaper is everywhere and a great place to find local events.
How about the cost of living? And the job picture?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 AM  

Columbia, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
How about the cost of living? And the job picture?
rcrabb22

Cost/Quality of living is as good as you will find. Property taxes are a higher in Richland county than the surrounding counties. You can get alot of home for your money in the Columbia area. Some area's such as West Columbia/Lexington, Southeast Columbia and Northeast are more affordable than others for newer developments. Downtown living, Shandon, Forest Acres, Lake Carolina, Wildwood and Lake Murray are a little more expensive, but still nothing outrageous.

Gas prices are low. General living expenses are well below national average.

The job picture is unfortunately not so great. Unemployment rates are extremely high here. The job market is growing but a city like charlotte for example is leagues ahead of us as far as career opportunities.

Alot of people however from outlying towns commute to columbia daily for work. I think Columbia's market isnt great because there is so few opportunities outside of columbia until you get up to Greenville, down to Charleston or the coastal regions. The small town job seekers pretty much have few options other than Columbia for meaningful employment.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 AM  

We have been checking out NC but friend who has lived in NC for six years now recomended the Greenville SC area. I would need to find work as a machinist and my wife is expierienced in office management. We love the outdoors and various activities with our dogs. How is the mountain biking? I would love to ride year round and would not miss seeing snow ever again!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:15 PM  

Columbia, SC
there is haribson state forest has lots of mountain biking trails.

the zoo is great and the xmas lights are going on right now.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina > Columbia
Bookmark this Page!