Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM  

columbus, oh
where is wellsville at?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM  

columbus, oh
mcarthur is near logan?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM  

roseville, oh
I would stay out of stone quarry rd near mcarthur itspatrolled now and unless you can pass a vehicle saftey inspection you will ne ticketed. Also if you are cuaght outside of 20ft from center of the rd you will receive a trespassing ticket. So you have to know the right of way.

I would recommend in no order:
Wellsville but you need to go with a respective group the knows the trails.

Jeeskool for new folks or folks looking for some mild action.

I highly recommend looking into the stillwell stomers club they have about 3000acres of private stuff thats mostly rock. 50$ for a yearly membership amd well worth it.
Hieney farms in roseville lost valley jeep in bainbridge and wheelers dirt park in blue creek are also worth checking out if you are into rocks and off camber.

For straight mud powerline park and gasline motor sports are places of interest.

The stuff behind lowes is illegal period.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM  

Coshocton, OH
There are a few spots in Coshocton county as well as Muskingum county that we like to use. On a nice rainy day, any secondary road in Coshocton will appear to be a trail! Some of the township roads are quite tricky, especially this time of year. The roads behind the Mohawk Dam after a major flood provide some good fun as well. I have heard people talk about Rumble on the Ridge before. I do not have a lot of details on that event but I think there is a website dedicated to it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 AM  

roseville, oh
rumble on the ridge in quad only.

if the secondary roads in coshocton and muskingum county are considered 4wheeling to you I'd hate to se you get into anything that 4wd is actauly required
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM  

southeast, Ohio
I went on a ride with Ohio4x4 several years ago. We stood around 90% of the time and managed to actually go wheeling maybe 45 minutes out of a 3 hour trip (and I had to stand and watch other guys during most of that time). There were a couple of challenging spots but I have better places to ride in my yard than they took me to. Nothing personal but those guys live in the city mostly and they have no idea what a real trail is like. I had some good friends in that crowd but they would have messed their pants if they followed me around my area.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 AM  

roseville, oh
I can somewhat agree with that comment, they dont wheel near as hard as what myself and the guys I ride with do, but it sounds like you were on the Novice ride in Tar Hollow that they put on which is designed to introduce people in stock jeeps into the offriading world.

Hit a ORO ride and you should be more pleased.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM  
Go Bucks!

Upper Arlington, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadohio View Post
I would stay out of stone quarry rd near mcarthur itspatrolled now and unless you can pass a vehicle saftey inspection you will ne ticketed. Also if you are cuaght outside of 20ft from center of the rd you will receive a trespassing ticket. So you have to know the right of way.

I would recommend in no order:
Wellsville but you need to go with a respective group the knows the trails.

Jeeskool for new folks or folks looking for some mild action.

I highly recommend looking into the stillwell stomers club they have about 3000acres of private stuff thats mostly rock. 50$ for a yearly membership amd well worth it.
Hieney farms in roseville lost valley jeep in bainbridge and wheelers dirt park in blue creek are also worth checking out if you are into rocks and off camber.

For straight mud powerline park and gasline motor sports are places of interest.

The stuff behind lowes is illegal period.
Great input, much appreciated! I might look further into stillwell, where are they located? Was not familiar with hieney farms or wheelers dirt park either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadohio View Post
I can somewhat agree with that comment, they dont wheel near as hard as what myself and the guys I ride with do, but it sounds like you were on the Novice ride in Tar Hollow that they put on which is designed to introduce people in stock jeeps into the offriading world.

Hit a ORO ride and you should be more pleased.

More info on ORO, do y'all have a webpage?

Edit: I'm on your webpage now Mike
Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 PM  

southeast, Ohio
Believe me I asked about tougher trails when I went on that ride and I even blazed a trail or two myself waiting on the other people to get moving. You're right that the trails we took looked nothing like the photo above but this was quite a few years ago and not one person even mentioned tougher trails. I don't think they were going on tougher rides at the time. I had the equipment to handle the rock crawling you were doing at the time but it's long gone now. Well actually I have new equipment that would do it but it's my daily driver and I'm not about to subject it to punishment like that until we get a new daily driver. I've been through far worse than what you show here in fact but that was at Natural Bridge in Ky. But they have closed off almost every trail there now. They have club rides but those guys like to break things for fun. That's never been my kind of fun. I like to go places instead of breaking things. I'm not into trailer queens either unless we're talking ATV's. I like to drive the same truck to the trails that I will drive on the trails. I have a Nissan Xterra currently and it is quite capable off road. I drove a Dodge Raider when I went on that club ride. At another time I had that Raider squeezed between two rock faces that formed a V as you closer to the bottom. If one side had slipped or a tire had some off the rim (a definite possibility) my Raider would still be stuck between those rock faces. I was about 10 feet above the ground in the middle of that squeeze. If I had slipped I would have had to break out a window then jump to the ground. You couldn't have pulled that Raider out with a cherry picker which is ok because you would never get a cherry picker back there anyway. I wish I had talked my wife into walking so she could take photos. But she wanted to ride so nobody got any photos. It was an extremely hairy situation, I haven't seen many that were worse even on tv. I was wedged between those rocks like crazy and 10-12 feet off the ground underneath. It went right through though and I had to climb a rock face as soon as I got out of that place. That is unless I wanted to go back through the squeeze and I wasn't going to "press" my luck again.

BTW I hardly need to be "introduced" to off roading. I was 4 years old when dad bought a Willy's jeep. We drove it right over the river bank (at least a 60 degree drop off) and then drove up and down the river until we found a place to get out. My dad and my uncle had told me over and over not to mention that ride to mom but being 4 years old I forgot that advice and told mom the same day. The next day that beautiful Willys was gone. Oh well. We could go more places on the tractor anyway. Trust me I grew up driving off road. Heck our road was really off road back in those days. I learned to ride the top of the ruts before I was 6 and that was driving the old Buick tank dad gave us boys to drive around the farm in. That thing must have weighed 6000 pounds easy. If we got stuck we got the tractor and pulled it out and we went right back to driving. I grew up in a wild, wild place in Kentucky. You would be amazed at the things we had to do from driving through 4 feet of backwater to get out or driving over the hills to get out when the water was more than 4 foot deep. We had a Willys flatbed truck that sat really high off the ground. Water would come in under the door at 4 foot deep. If we got water that deep we drove over the muddy hills to get out. Now that was an adventure. And I haven't got to the snow stories yet. There were two big hills between our house and the pavement and one of those hills the road slanted off the high side and if you slipped off there you would end up in the river. Well there was a very small spot where you might land and not go in the river. A car landed there back in the 1920's and it's still sitting there today or what's left of it is anyway.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 AM  

southeast, Ohio
UPDATE:

I found some photos of the one half way tough spot we went to at Tar Hollow. I went back by myself later and took some photos. That was in 1998 so you can see it's been a while back. I do have some photos of the one hill we went up and it wasn't all that tough. It did have one spot where there was about a 18" rock face we had to go over. It took me a couple of tries but I made it. I know that isn't that much. I've seen drop offs that were 3 feet or more at Natural Bridge.

I was hoping to find photos of that v shaped formation I went through but so far no luck. I'll keep looking.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.