Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 AM  

roseville, oh
Blazing trails at tar hollow is a no no was then and is now. Those are legal road ways and there for you have to stay on the right of ways.

I know the exact hill you are talking about with the ledge I went up it in 2008 in my bone stock jeep liberty.

I daily drive my rigs, beat the snot out of them and drive them gome.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM  

southeast, Ohio
Well since we weren't in Tar Hollow at the time I broke no rules. You think I'm stupid or something? We drove to a river and I drove up a bank no one else would tackle because they didn't want to scratch their trucks. Like you I drive the snot out of my daily driver when it's just my daily driver and the wife has another one that's in a lot better shape. Believe me I have trashed a bunch of them. I drove up that hill with my bone stock Raider too. All it really took to get up was a set of tires big enough to give you the clearance to get up. Still your average driver wouldn't try it in a bone stock truck. None of the other guys in stock vehicles tried it that day I was there with the club.

Those old Raiders were dandy vehicles. They had limited slip in the rear (some did anyway) and the same wheel layout as the CJ5. I looked and looked for one with a 6 banger because the 4's blew heads like crazy. I gave up on them after going through 4 engines. Still they had a fender that was sealed at the bottom and open right at the top and the intake for the engine came from that fender. So you could drive the things underwater for a couple of minutes without any problem at all. That and they semi-truck type seat that was mounted on a hydraulic unit and a device to tell you how steep the hill was you were on. They took 31 10.50 tires easily and they had the gears to make them roll offroad. Plus you could see out the back like it was the windshield. I think you could actually see better out the back because there wasn't any hood in the way. I took that truck places that would make a lot of people mess their pants. It was a solid performer, well actually I had 3 of them total, and I'd still like to find one in good shape with a 6 in it. The only bad thing about them was the headlights. They just weren't up to the test.

Here's a few photos of the trail I'm talking about. Is this the same one you are thinking of?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM  

southeast, Ohio
You know I just saw your name "offroadohio". I take it you're associated with the club. Yep that's just the "we're smart and you're not" attitude that kept me from going back to your little club meeting. I remember a lot of "I'm in charge" types running all around arguing with each other about who was in charge and telling everyone else when to break wind and when to scratch their nose. If I wanted rule crazy Napolean wannabes I'd go drive 150 mph on I-70 or something. The very idea that you considered me a "newbie" is a joke beyond belief. You don't know me. There was no mention of any "newbie drives" either. What I did was stand around waiting on the "I'm in charge" guys to decide when to drive 10 feet. Like I said I have better offroading in my yard than you guys took me to. And there were highly modified vehicles there too. And my little bone stock Raider went everywhere they went and then some.

So the next time you want to decide someone else is a newbie you might want to actually ask them about their skill level because I was doing things when I was 6 that would make you soil your drawers. Where I lived "off road" meant the road to my house and it wasn't a short road either. Between the mud, the snow, the floods, and the ruts even my mom could do things more than what was done on that "trail ride" I went on with your group. In short, you're the newbie. Not me. I've done things you would never do. I guarantee it. Next time I'm back to Natural Bridge (which might be today) I'll take a photo of the "trail" I took between those rock faces. My guess is you've never seen anyone take on that level of rock crawling and I did it in a stock Raider. I'm not saying that Raider was the best off road vehicle on earth. Far from it. I just took it someplace where only someone who didn't care to totally lose his vehicle would go. 99.9% of people would swear it couldn't be done but I did it.

Remember, I've been on one of your trail rides. I used to ride bicycles on tougher trails than that and that was before there was such a thing as a mountain bike. So you can keep your boring "trail rides" where just saying the wrong thing on a CB got you on the bad side of the rule freaks. It was "don't talk, only we get to talk" and other ridiculous crap. I could never figure why anyone would want to be part of a "club" like that. The whole idea of off roading is to get away from it all, not bring it all with you. So you can keep your club and I'll continue to explore and have my adventures with nobody to rely on but myself. If you have 20 guys with you to pull you out where's the challenge? All that's left is to see what you can break and I'd rather spend my money on gas. Where I go the trails are tougher and nobody is looking over my shoulder telling me "that's not the right of way" because that's the kind of people I'm trying to get away from. I don't tear up anything and I don't make anyone mad. I stick to the established roads and trails. It's just that some of them are VERY challenging unlike that hiccup of a hillside at Tar Hollow. Next time I'm straddling a 3 foot deep rut driving up a 45 degree hill with a 100 foot cliff right beside me I'll think of you and laugh. I'll send you a photo of that spot if you like but I'm not going up it in a almost new truck on a muddy day, that's for sure. But I've been up it many times and worse than that too.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 AM  

roseville, oh
offroadohio and ohio4x4 are two totaly differant organizations. Offroadohio is not a club and has never hosted an event in tarhollow so obviously you are the one making an assumsion here. ORO is nothing more than a message forum the same as this one, jeep forum and many others.
I suggested that it sounded like you went to the Novice Ride that is hosted by ohio4x4 not that you were a newbie. Ohio4x4 host TWO novice rides at tar hollow each year, that is typically when they ride Tar Hollow becuase it is the easy stuff. I also pointed otu that if you go off the trails at "tar hollow" in anyway you are breaking the law, no if ands or buts about it, ALL of those trails down there are unimproved township roads that means if you go anyfarther than 20ft from the center of the trail you are tresspassing on public, state, or company owned property. That comment wasnt meant directly towards you either, I said it to make sure anyone reading that went down to "tar hollow" looking for trails understood this.

I have only ever been on 3 trail rides with Ohio4x4 as I said earlier in a post I can somewhat agree with you on the fact that they dont ride as hard as some others do.
Im sure they have progesssed alot since 1998 though and I ride with a few of them at non club events.

p.s. In 1998 I was 12 so I dont think I had anything to do with the ride that turned you agains ohio4x4
Old 03-01-2011, 02:05 PM  

Columbus, OH
This reminds me of the movie Zombieland.

Columbus: Are you one of those guys who has to constantly 'one-up' everyone else?
Tallahassee: Hell, no! I knew a guy once who was a lot worse at that than me.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM  

southeast, Ohio
You tell me I went on a kiddie ride then say it's because they take newbies out that way. And you think you didn't call me a newbie. Then you try to tell me what I should and shouldn't do. Are you a park ranger or just some know it all with a Napoleon complex? I know. Welcome to my kill filter. Now I won't have to see your smug, know it all crap.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM  

Columbus, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGhidora View Post
You tell me I went on a kiddie ride then say it's because they take newbies out that way. And you think you didn't call me a newbie. Then you try to tell me what I should and shouldn't do. Are you a park ranger or just some know it all with a Napoleon complex? I know. Welcome to my kill filter. Now I won't have to see your smug, know it all crap.
You just proved ORO's point. He did not call you a newbie. He suggested that if you thought Ohio4x4's ride was very easy, it was probably their novice ride. They hold novice rides twice a year, where they run their easiest trail. Just because you drove that trail doesn't make you a newbie. No one is suggesting that. ORO was merely letting you (and everyone else) know that Ohio4x4 does some more challenging wheeling than the particular ride you described.

I will agree with you that the novice rides are not that exciting to anyone who has much experience and/or a better-than-stock rig. There is a lot of standing around because the actual newbies want to learn and enjoy watching other people's driving.

Also, he didn't tell you what you should or should not do, but merely stated what is legal and what is illegal. He already clarified that for the sake of everyone who would read this thread. This way people won't find themselves getting a ticket for being off the township roads. Also, they won't find themselves trespassing, which negatively portrays our sport.

No need for name-calling.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM  
Black Swamp Bogger

RenoBeach (Toledo), Ohio
KingGhidora,

Reading through this thread (a FEW times), I am to the conclusion that you are getting unnecessarily defensive and are taking things out-of-context, and generally being abrasive for no reason.

Now, obviously, we are all entitled to our opinions, and yours are fine, but they are aimed at the wrong targets.

Please READ CAREFULLY a post before blindly making assumptions and wrongly accusing people of things.

Accusations and assumptions are NOT opinions, btw.

You are simply reading and taking things wrong. This isn't supposed to be a site to flame people and offroadohio did not flame you.

Nowhere, did I read where anyone questioned your personal off roading skills, nor did they directly accuse you of breaking a law. Yet you immediately ASSUMED that your skills and morals were being questioned/attacked.

Not the case.

Have a beer and a smile.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.