Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 PM  

Columbus, Ohio
Here's my list:

For Carry-Out:
1. Palmer's Beverage on Indianola and High
2. Dairy Mart on Fifth and Highland- This place looks like it would only carry 40s. But it has one of the best selections of pounders in the city.
3. Blacklick Wine and Spirits: I always find something in this place that I've never seen before. This is probably my hands down, most favorite beer store in the city. And they have a pretty good selection of liquor as well!
4. Whole Foods, Sawmill and 161: You can find almost any locally brewed beer here. They even carry Rockmill Brewery from Lancaster, which I have never seen anywhere else.
5. Giant Eagles tend to be good. Some are better than others. Market District in Upper Arlington is the best. The Giant Eagle in New Albany is pretty good as well. The Giant Eagle on Neil Ave near Arena District is the worst because they don't have space to have much of a selection.
6. The Kroger Marketplace on Northwest and Chambers carries the seasonal Rogue pounders, and some of the other big micro seasonals.
7. Gentiles is pretty good, but I'm not usually there for the beer, but the brewing supplies.
8. Grapes of Mirth at the North Market: This guy mainly specializes in wine, but you can find some neat surprises here. He usually tries to get Dogfish Head's limited release stuff.

Brew Pubs:
1. Barley's Tap House: This is probably my favorite one mostly because of the firkin handle and the cask conditioned tap.
2. Elevator: Good food, and their beer is better every year. They are on the up.
3. Gordon Biersh: They're beer is good. Their food is decent. Their prices are preposterous.

Other brewers:
1. Rockmill: I've never been here, or had any of their stuff, but I've heard good things.
2. Neill House: I caught these guys at the last microbrew festival at the North Market. I tried the Cranberry Cider which was very impressive. I wasn't able to try anything else because it all ran out.

Bars:
1. Bodega: This place has about 30-40 microbrews on tap at all times and switch their selection with the seasons. If you like beer, this is a must.
2. Lounge 62: This has been mentioned a couple of times and I agree that it is a pretty good bar. They also have a large selection, though most of the beers are either large breweries or the flagships of the microbrews. Every once in awhile they will put something different on tap. Look out for those.
3. RBar: Come on....they don't have anything but domestics/canadians but GO JACKETS!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 PM  

Columbus, Ohio
I hit the Andersen's up a lot. As far as bars go, I like CBC a lot as well as Byrne's Pub. There is another place, I don't know if it is in Grandview, but I think it is called the Thirsty Ear. The have a pretty extensive draft selection. I need to get into BJ's though in Polaris.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:01 PM  

Columbus, Ohio
And Barley's too! The Elevator is great. I guess there are quite a few!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:29 AM  

Columbus, Ohio
The Wind Shop on Sawmill Rd has a good selection of single bottle beers to make a mix and match. The dude who runs the place can be rude though.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 AM  

Columbus, OH
As far as Carry-outs I'd definitely recommend Viking, near OSU campus. I'm no connoisseur, but I can spend a long time in there looking at beers I've never heard of. It's on King, just east of Niel.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM  
Go Bucks!

Upper Arlington, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_b View Post
As far as carry outs go, I like Gentiles and (believe it or not) Giant Eagle.
x2, Gentiles is great, so is the Kenny Road Carryout (where Kenny splits, godown the left, take kenny to the right). I refer to it as Beer Paradise...HUGE selection of microbrews and seasonals, and the guys that work there are all extremely knowledgeable.

As far as beers on tap, there's a place on High Street called Bodega that has one of the largerst selections I have ever seen.

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM  

Columbus, Ohio
I don't frequent the bars much since I live a little further away, but as far as carry outs go...

The Dublin location of The Anderson's has a good selection, but most of it is on warm shelves - very little cooler space. The Brice Road location is worthless.

Although I don't go there for groceries, Giant Eagle is my new favorite "quick stop" for beer and wine. It doesn't hurt that the one near me is also a state liquor store!

Gentile's - I don't go there much, but whenever I'm picking up last-minute brewing supplies I'll pick up some beer too - pretty good selection in coolers.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 PM  

Dayton, Ohio
While it is a bit more pricy, Barleys has always given me excellent quality of food and beer. The waitstaff seems pretty clueless about what they're selling most if the time, though :/
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM  

MA
I know it's not really Columbus, but weasleboy in Zanesville is interesting. A brewpub that recently got a bronze for their imperial stout at the great American beer festival. They're super friendly and offer a stout float. No food last I was there.

Pretty easy to get to off of I70.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 PM  

Columbus, Ohio
+1 to Kenny Road. Great selection and the best service.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.