Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjk4 View Post
That's my thought process on this. We have had Proficiancy tests, School System rating system, and all kinds of other test to hold the teachers' accountable, yet we are still falling behind...If the system of Tenure through Collective Bargining is such a good thing, why are we still falling behind

Education system in Ohio as it is now is broken, let's at least try something different.
Let's try something completely different. Hold children accountable. Bring true discipline back to the class room, remove discipline problems and do away with inclusion. Teach to the higher denominator instead of the lowest. Reward success, not mediocrity. Make parental involvement not just a priority, but mandatory.

Hmmm... That doesn't sound new and different, Sounds like the way we used to do things when our schools were more successful. Teachers had some level of tenure back then, too. Instead of changing something that has been a relative constant, why not look at what variables have changed?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Tenure for college professors is earned but it's not something intended for High School teachers. I think only the slug teachers still defend it.

In High School I once took a senile nun to our school disciplinarian. I turned her in for having a severe case of senility.

I of course "did the time" in detention but that was the last year they tried to foist that zombie off as competent to teach.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 PM  

It's going to take us a lot to get back on course, but being anti trying something new doesn't help anyone. We can all agree something needs done, whether issues 5 is the way to go or not. Again, I'm not sure it's the quote unquote "answer", but we can't keep going down the road we are. If it takes a big shakeup to get the ball rolling, then so be it....
Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 PM  

Contrary to popular belief, even with "tenure" which is nothing like what professors enjoy, teachers can be gotten rid of. It takes an administration that is willing to put in the time to show on paper that it is justified, but it can be done.

As for a big shakeup to get the ball rolling, it has been my observation that all too often when someone decides to do something without thinking it through, they fall victim to what is called the rule of unintended consequences. These often manifest themselves in very bad ways. I just hope that rolling ball doesn't roll over all of us with Kasich saying "oops, I didn't expect that to happen!"
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM  

I see all the whiners are already out getting signatures...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesy View Post
I see all the whiners are already out getting signatures...
Maybe they are affected and concerned. Petitions can be a good thing, I mean when an agenda is being pushed that people strongly disagree with.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 AM  

Ahh, so if someone uses the democratic process to attempt to change a law they consider unjust they're "whiners." Ad hominem anyone?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads