Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2010, 09:16 AM  

Connecticut outdoor winter brewing tips.

I am looking to do some of my first brews of the winter and looking for thoughts on outdoor winter brewing, how you do it, if you do it in garage. i just moved and my last house had a brew room which i did all of my brewing in and now i have no room yet(still unpacking).

any outdoor winter brewing tips would be awesome.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:56 AM  

Portland, CT
Garage works fine for me (assuming you have a propane burner). Tough part for me is clean up and chilling wort (I have no water supply to the garage and exterior hoses tend to freeze up).

Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 AM  

What about no garage tips?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM  
CT Homebrewers Unite!

Hamden, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton
What about no garage tips?
Find a spot that is in a corner where the wind isn't as bad. Sit close to your burner to keep warm.

We have a CR-V so I open the back hatch and sit in there to try to stay warm. It atleast cuts down on the wind.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM  

Connecticut
I made a 5 gallon all-grain on the stove on Sunday. I have a six-burner gas stove, so there was plenty of room.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 AM  

Glass top range...so full boil is out of the question.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 PM  

Danbury, ct
I have a great set up on my back deck that is shielded from the wind and just off the kitchen. On days not so windy I brew in front of the garage where my wet sink is. I can't complain.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 PM  

Trumbull, CT
I mash in the kitchen using the stove to heat the water. I boil outside on the deck. I siphon the water through the chiller using HD 5gal buckets then use that heated water to clean up. That puts me outside for the boil/chill which is usually under 2 hours. I then strain to my fermenter inside and do my cleanup in the tub. It is pretty manageable and I usually find myself with a beer in hand...
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM  

Monroe, Connecticut
do you have a basement? like if you could you could open the basement door to the outside... but you'd have to have a bunch of fans. i'd close the basement door to the house, to save on your heating bill. garage works too. but if i were you i'd just get a high output burner and do it outside. i mean if you ever wanna upgrade or just don't care to wait a to get boils going during the summer do that. i do 10 gallon all grain batches and it works alright. just get it out of the wind if you do it outside.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.