Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM  

Trumbull, CT
Wow, Wade - that is amazing!

I've been looking to get out to try some - thanks for the link!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM  

Hamden, CT
I'll second that ^ That is quite a collection. Currently I'm in an apartment and would love the storage for my growing beer brewing hobby (currently it resides in my bedroom closet, haha). I see you have some cornies too so I guess it's not all wine!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:07 PM  

New London, Ct
There are a couple of good ones local to me as well, J Edwards,Prium. Did the passport thing about 6 years ago, I think the first year they had it. Glad to hear it is still going, will try to do it next year.
And yes nice wine collection, did you build your own shelves?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 PM  

Mystic, Connecticut
South Eastern CT

Jonathan Edwards is tops! It used to be Crosswoods but JE came in and made some great renovations and really turned their program around. They have great red wine mostly because they purchase their fruit from CA. Stonington Vineyards normally produces a decent Cabernet Franc, I'm not sure they had a good season for it this year though. Also one that recently opened up in Stonington is the Salt Water Farm Vineyard. Michael and Marilyn the owners are great people to converse with over a glass of their wine and the venue is amazing. Great views of the Stonington Harbor and surrounding marsh land. It is no surprise that they host tons of weddings there.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:39 PM  

Ansonia, CT
Wade, your cellar is really nice looking! I am a homebrewer of beer for a year now, and I am starting to improve my offerings, although I don't think my beer can match up next to your wine! What kind of beer do you have available now? I would love to meet, trade, and taste. PM me if interested!

Anyway, last year I started to sample the wine trail a bit for my birthweek. I live quite close to Jones' Winery and enjoy one red they offer (but often don't have because it is popular). They also do a really nice pear blend. This was a year ago, so I have a hard time remembering exactly.
I also visited Gouveia, Sharpe Hill, and Taylor Brook.
Gouveia is beautiful and I feel like I am a world away on top of the hill there.
Taylor Brook had nice dessert variety, and the woman who gave the tasting was really informational. It wasn't on the wine trail last year when I went, but was certainly worth the 10 minute jaunt from Sharpe Hill.
Sharpe Hill is beautiful and I really enjoyed one of their reds, I believe it was called Red Seraph. They apparently have a nice restaurant as well, but I wasn't able dine that day.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM  

I've been to a few vineyards in Ct, but I feel that the better wines are the ones where they import the grapes.

Cassidy Hill in Coventry is a small place with a nice view if you decide to walk around. The wines were average and when I went they didn't have many available. Call ahead before you go to see what they have.

Taylor Brooke winery is a house with a very small vineyard in their backyard. They seem to import more than they make. Their wine was very good though. They had some specialty wines or desert wines that got that palate moving.

Maugle Sierra was probably one of the better ones I thought. Some of the wines were aged in different wooden barrels giving them really great flavors. Each wine that I tasted there seemed to be something I could try again.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM  

I wanted to complete the passport book, but wasn't able to visit enough vineyards. I love Gouveia for the scenery, but my favorite wines come from Digrazia in Brookfield.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM  

Fairfield, Ct
we were at chamard in clinton this weekend. real close to the clinton crossing outlets. it was ok. i personally was not a fan of their wine...
last year we went to hopkins, it was a nice drive up to litchfield county. kayaked on the resivoir that it overlooks and did some apple pickin' as well. I liked their wine but it was wicked croweded there.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 PM  

Middlebury, Ct.
Howdy fellows. Its been awhile since I logged in here as I run 2 wine forums and they get pretty busy for a few months of they year when the grapes come in and the fruits are falling off the trees. Anyway, yes I did build those racks myself from scrap wood left oer from stair treads at work which they throw out. As for which beers I have, that can vary often but right ow I have a Cervesa, a very hoppy Pale Ale, and Apricot Pale Ale on tap and need to brew up another wheat beer as that is my favorite beer to drink anytime of year. I also have a sparkling raspberry wine on tap and anyone is welcome to come on over, just send me an email and we can set something u.m wade42470@netscape.net. Good to see you here Millzy!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads