Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM  

Firearm Activities

Does anyone out there shoot and/or hunt? I am starting to get back into some hobbies I did in high school, but didn't have time for in college. I've never really seen OH, so I was just curious if there are any decent places. I enjoy skeet/trap but also would like to take the handgun out here and there. Ideally, I would like to get a handgun coach. I'm okay, but would like to shoot a lot better.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM  

vandalia range and armory, its around dayton. its indoor and pretty nice its were i like to go, theres a cpl outdoor ranges for skeet shooting around but i go to the inlaws for that so idk the best one to hit up.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 PM  

I haven't been to Vandalia Range and Armory, but I have heard good things about it. If you want to shoot competitive trap, there is the Middletown Sportsmans Club. They also shoot skeet as I recall. If you are interested in trying your hand at Cowboy Action Shooting, they also do that there, as well as a couple of other places near Dayton.

For coaching, I would suggest starting either at someplace like Vandalia, or possibly the NRA website. You might even try checking with a couple of the gunstores around the area, such as Olde English, which is "technically" a Tipp City address, but just a few minutes north of the Airport.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM  
Another gray haired guy

Out in the Boonies, Ohio
For handgun training, if you live in the southern part of Dayton, try Sim-Trainer in Moraine. Great place, owned by a cop. That's where I did my CCW training.

Also, out in Spring Valley somewhere (southeast of Dayton), there is a range where I've been trapshooting and they also shoot pistols out there. It's been ages since I've been out there, but if you're interested, drop me a PM and I'll call around to find out where it's at.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 AM  

I finally made it to Vandalia Range and Armory. Quite a place! I would recommend anyone check it out. I thought the selection and the staff were both great. I will have to get over there to do some shooting, I think.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM  

Centerville, OH
Miami Valley Shooting Grounds = off Rip Rap road, south of I70/east of I75.
It is near Vandalia range, Gander Mountain store ... and Tipp City has Old English Outfitters.

I want to hit Spring Valley (Ohio DNR public range) east of me, which puts it south of Xenia.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM  

Thanks for the info jj, I have shot at Miami Valley before, but I think they may have been under a different name. I didn't realize they was still a facility there.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 AM  

Centerville, OH
I get the impresssion that there was something there a long time. Then, not.

So, maybe this is the "new" Miami Valley Shooting Range.
I just moved here in Jan, so I have no knowledge of what came before.

At some point, I need better guns and a longer range :-)

For now, though, my 22 rifles and I will work on our marksmanship @ Miami Valley.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Bookmark this Page!