Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Delaware
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 PM  

Lynchburg, VA
Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton DE

I have only ever been to DE one time and it was last October, but my wife and I really enjoyed ourselves and plan to return. We stayed at the Hotel Rehobeth in Rehobeth Beach and then drove up to Milton for a tour of the DFH brewery. It was pretty awesome to tour the place. One of the highlights is seeing the SABCO system the Sam began brewing on and that, according to the tour guide, SABCO paid him not to use any more by giving him a brand new system.

The most exciting part was that we were the only people that showed for the last tour of the day and as we were finishing up and looking at the bottling area Sam came out to talk to our guide. We got to speak to him for a few and snapped a picture with him. Of course he had a few bottles of brew tucked under his arms as he was heading out for the weekend.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM  

Wilmington, Delaware
I gotta check this place out, what was the tour like?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 PM  

Townsend, Delaware
Just incase you guys didnt know, Sam Calagione, the Dog Fish Head owner has a show that aired on the discovery channel at 10pm on sunday. i believe its a 9 or 10 part mini series that covers how he started, a tour of the brewery and how he travels the world looking for different ingredients for his beers.

Very good show.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM  

Washington, Iowa
He is a pretty funny guy too. If you like the show check out the documentary beer wars.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM  

Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosh View Post
I gotta check this place out, what was the tour like?
The tour is awesome and they give you a couple of samples of whatever they have on tap at the time. I believe they give you 2 chips a person. 1 chip is 1 drink. I think they had about 5 on tap when I went.

I've been on a couple of brewery tours and theirs is one of the best. They only thing you don't get to see is the bottling line which is a cool thing to see in person.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 PM  

Washington, DC
Did you make it out to the restaurant? I've been thinking of making a trip out there from DC sometime.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 AM  

Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconJack View Post
Did you make it out to the restaurant? I've been thinking of making a trip out there from DC sometime.
The food was great. They have this hop brownie there that was awesome. Of course pretty much all the Dogfish beer that is in season on tap.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 AM  

Lynchburg, VA
We really enjoyed the tour when we went. The brewery itelf is not the largest, but the people have passion. When we went we did get to see the bottling line, that is where we were when we got to meet Sam.

The hotel Rehobeth ir right across from the rester aunt so we did eat there. I had an IPA battered fish and plenty of great beers ontap. They also sell growlers to go. S we had a couple of those come back to the hotel with us.

If you plan your tour of the main brewery you can try to get over to the rester aunt fast enough because they do a tour there too of the R&D brewery they have there and of the distillery, which is there as well. oh yeah, DFH distills their own spirits as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM  

IL
I've been to his original restaurant and brewery in Rehobeth a bunch of times (as far back as 1998 for sure). It was always great food, beer and people.

Love it.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 AM  

Wilmington, DE
The spirits that they infuse & serve at the restaurant are also pretty good. Had a honey brown sugar rum & peanut butter vodka.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Delaware
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.