Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Considering Denver relocation

Good morning!

I'm currently in the Marine Corps - I guess it's been about 4 years now. I'm married with 2 kids, and we're considering what we're going to do after the Marine Corps, if I decide not to re-enlist. Denver is an area that we were seriously considering.

I've got a few aunts and uncles that live there, but you know how visits go - it's usually a week or two.

How do you guys feel about the city? Fast-paced, slow-paced? I'd definitely be living in the suburbs.

How do you like the weather - how many months of decent weather is there? I'll be coming from Oahu, but I'm surprisingly not a huge fan of warm weather year around - I do enjoy cold weather.

I look forward to any feedback, thanks!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM  

Denver, CO, Colorado
I am from Denver. I came back after I got out of the Marine Corps in 1993. I would say it is a medium paced city. Good for sports and things to do. The winters can be cold, but we have a lot of nice days in winter. Are you going to try to find a job, or go to school? If you are looking for a job, what do you do?

I just visited Oahu in June. It was great, but I am not sure I would want to live there. I had island fever after two years on Okinawa.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, that's a good question.

I guess we're trying to decide between using the new Post-9/11 GI bill to get another degree while my wife works, or for me to go ahead and a job out there.

I'm in intelligence - there is a Marine Corps Cryptologic support element out there that I may be interested in, if I were to go that route. If not, I may look into another form of intel out there, or law enforcement.

I suppose we're up in the air right now - so we're researching real estate, lifestyles, things to do, school systems, etc.

Yeah I'm the same as you - about two weeks here and I was itching to get off. I stopped on Okinawa on my way to Korea a few years back - it wasn't anything to write home about hah so I feel ya on that one.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 PM  

Denver, CO, Colorado
I know a few of the Navy chiefs at the crypto unit here. They are pretty cool.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 AM  

Boulder, Colorado
I can't comment on the city since I don't venture there very often (I am about 30 minutes North of Denver), but the weather I can comment on

It is normally pretty mild in the city in the winters. We get the occasional big dump that seems to happen every couple years. Normal snow storms bring 4-8" of snow and are completely melted in 1-3 days (unlike the North East or Mid-West where it sticks around forever). Due to the altitude it can be 30 deg outside, but the sun is shining so it feels very warm (relatively). Winter lasts from December-->March, by the time April rolls around we may get a big snow dump or two, but it melts so quickly it doesn't matter much. April-->June is a great Spring time. July-->August are hot (mid/upper 90's), then September-->November it gets more mild (65-80's).
Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I think that the weather would be good for me - I actually enjoy cold weather more than warm weather - kinda odd for a guy who lives on Oahu for now hah.

I'm a huge Jeep guy and huge hiker/camper, so I think that's a huge pull for me as well.

What's the price of living like in the outskirts of the city? I've been to Denver quite a few times to visit, but I don't think I've ever paid too close of attention to things like that while I was there

Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 PM  

Boulder, Colorado
Check out zillow.com for prices around Denver. Wide range depending on the neighborhood and what kind of house you're after.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah, they sure are varying. Thanks for the site.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 AM  
Ric

Denver, Colorado
Jake,
first, Thank You for your service....
about Denver, Ive been here about 7 years now, born and raised in the midwest.
Weather- its awesome, the winters are NOT bad, we do get snow, but nothing to bad IMHO, the mountains, now thats another story, lol. There is no humidity to speak of, I get a kick out of people complaining its hot here, in the summer it gets to just over 90 with about 10-20% humidity, and people whine, lol
Good things about Denver, the weather, the mountains, theres just so much to do here..
Bad things about Denver, Denver is a sancutary state, meaning there are ALOT of Illegals here, and thats really sux, none of them have auto ins. they cause sooo many wrecks and just drive off.
No one here knows what a RED light means,,, if your at a stop light, your light turns green, you had better wait, cause there WILL BE 3 other cars running the red light. cops dont seem to care.
Other than all the illegals here, its pretty nice, I cant recommend moving to Denver just because of that...
I cant comment on downtown, I stay away as much as humanly possible, for the two reasons already mentioned.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:56 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey Ric -

Thanks for the reply for thanks for using City Profile!

I was stationed in California for a few years, so in all honesty, I think that I kind of grew accustomed to the illegals, and staying away from the areas with the highest crime rates and such.

That being said, everything else seems to appeal to me. The only thing I haven't gotten a real feel for is cost of everyday living. I suppose I need to do some more research. I've looked up houses, but it seems like the values of houses around there varies greatly depending on the suburb you live in - and I just don't know enough about the suburbs to even know which one I'd be interested in living yet. I've got an aunt that lives in Commerce City, and have visited her a few times, so that's really all I've got to go on.

Haha, thanks a lot for the red light advice - I'll be sure and keep that in mind!

Where do you live at in Denver, if you don't mind me asking?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Bookmark this Page!